Carol's Bread Recipe
(version 2, from her daughter)
Bosch Wheat Bread 2 loaves
4 cups whole-wheat flour
4 ½ tsp. dry yeast
2 Tbs. gluten
1 cup water (with yeast)
1 and 1/3 cups water in mixer
2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
2 cups white flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1. Heat 1-cup water to 110 degree F, stir in yeast, ½ tsp. sugar and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Pour into Bosch mixer and add remaining ingredients. Pulse “M” switch a few times. Mix on speed 2 until thoroughly combined.
3. Add remaining flour until dough pulls from sides and bottom of the bowl and forms a ball slightly over to one side.
4. Mix dough 5-8 minutes on speed 2, until smooth and elastic, so a small piece can be gently stretched to form a translucent “window,” without tearing.
5. Grease 2 loaf pans.
6. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly oiled surface. Divide into two 1-1/2 pounds. pieces. Knead to make smooth balls and let sit 10 minutes to rest. Shape into two loaves.
7. Cover and let rise until doubled, 45 to 50 minutes, depending on room temperature.
8. Bake at 325 F. for 45 minutes.
Note: According to most baking resources, in order to get the best texture and flavor that is typical of leavened bread, dough should be given a second rise before baking. ... The second rise helps develop a lighter, chewier texture, and a more complex flavor. However, it is not essential that dough rise twice.
Grandma Gardiner's Bread
2 pkgs. dry yeast (4 ½ tsp.) 1/3 cup honey
1 cup warm water (110 F) 1 1/3 cup water
4 cups whole wheat flour 2 eggs
2 tsp. salt 2 cups white flour
1/3 cup oil 2 cups whole wheat flour
1. Dissolve yeast in 1-cup warm water until it is frothy
2. Add 4 cups flour, salt, oil, honey, water and eggs. Mix well.
3. Add remaining flour to form dough.
4. Knead for 10 minutes.
5. Place in greased bowl, turn and cover.
6. Let raise 1 hour.
7. Punch down and knead 5 minutes, re-cover, let rise 1 hour.
8. Punch down, let rest 10 minutes, butter 2 loaf pans. Form into 2 loaves.
9. Put in buttered pans, turn. Let rise for 30 to 40 minutes.
10. Bake at 325 F for 1 hour.