Why did William Stewart and Christina Duncan name two of their children with the middle name of Pirie? We did find a woman named Jessie Pirie who named her first son Charles Duncan. She could have Charles Duncan's children and never married. Maybe Jessie parents worked as a live in help at police station or were building it? Maybe Christina Stewart incorporated surname to show they were cousins?
Charles Duncan is Christinas brother. This is where he may have met Jessie if she was related to Dr Pirie and was visiting him at Dundee or else Charles Duncan sailed boats to Aberdeen.
Charles Duncan and Christina Grewar's children:
1. William Duncan b 10 July 1827 Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland
2. Margaret Duncan born 9 August 1829, Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland (married David Craig, seaman, see 1861 census)
3. Andrew Greg Duncan born 3 July 1831 Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland (not found after this date, apparently he died before the 1841 census)
4. Jean Robbie Duncan born 23 April 1833 Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland GS Film 0993484-0993485 (not found after this date, apparently she died before the 1841 census)
5. Charles Duncan Jr. born 4 July 1835 Liff Benvie and Invergowrie, Angus, Scotland (seaman master mate)
6. George Duncan, born 1838
7. Christina Duncan, born January 1841 twin
8. Elizabeth Duncan, (aka Isobel) born January 1841, twin
1841 census: They live at Smalls Wynd, Dundee
Janet Duncan born 1806 (not sure who she is or is this a nickname for Christina. She could also be a domestic servant)
Margaret Duncan, born 1830
Charles Duncan Jr, born 1836
George Duncan, born 1838
Christina Duncan, born January 1841
Elizabeth Duncan, born January 1841, twins
(The 1841 census was taken June 6, 1841.)
1851 census: Living at Tindals Wynd, Dundee
Christina Duncan, 48 born 1803 in Liff
Margaret Duncan, 21 born born 1830 in Liff
Charles Duncan Jr., 15 born born 1836 in Liff, occupation seaman apprentice (like his father)
George Duncan, 13 born born 1838 in Dundee
Christina Duncan, 10 born 1841 in Dundee
Elizabeth Duncan10 born 1841 in Dundee
1861 English Census: Newcastle Quay, April 7, 1861
Charles Duncan, mate, 26 years old, unmarried, from Forfarshire, Scotland
crew on board the ship ?ieral of Dundee
1969 - 1870 Dundee city directory, A Charles Duncan is found in Dundee as a ship chandler. A ship chandler (or ship's chandler) is a retail dealer who specializes in supplies or equipment for ships, known as ship's stores.
1969 - 1870 Dundee city directory A ship chandler (or ship's chandler) is a retail dealer who specializes in supplies or equipment for ships, known as ship's stores.