Thursday, August 12, 2010

Annie Bachman (Ingles) 1870 - 1926

Annie Bachman was the first wife of William Ingles who came from Glasgow, Scotland. He was born 17 June 1862 in Glasgow, Scotland.

William Ingles was baptized 10 May 1871, and married Annie Bachman 10 Mar 1901. He went through the temple 16 Jan 1902.  There are no sealings recorded in life for either Annie or William.

Why did Annie go to Oregon?

Emma: One of their neighbors was the Eccles family and a son, David, who was worth thirty millions at the time of his death, was a frequent visitor at their house. He and father often walked over the mountains to Ogden and carried home some flour and molasses on their backs. Father managed to get a stove before Eccles's did and they came over and baked their bread on it.

In June 1912 I spent my vacation at Newport Beach at the home of Robert and Sarah Eccles Baird. He was a Chiropractor. She was our neighbor in Eden before I was born, I think. Her brother David Eccles, owner of Oregon Lumber Companywhere Will Ingles worked, died in Utah and left estate, etc, valued at thirty millions. Royal and Bertha Eccles went to Ogden High School when I was there. Hyrum Baird was home and he and I spent a lot of time on the beach. It was a beautiful beach with many shells. It was also surrounded
on one side by hills, which added to the beauty of the scenery. Hyrum had been married and was divorced.

Annie died 14 Aug 1926, just five years after her own mother. William married Jeanette Hiatt b 20 August 1928 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and they are found in the 1940 census living with her children. Jeanette died 27 June 1940 and he died a few months earlier, April 15, 1940. It is interesting that they both show up in the 1940 census and then die in the same year.

William Ingles:

Birth: Jun. 17, 1861, Scotland
Death: Apr. 15, 1940
Huntington Park
Los Angeles County
California, USA
  Robert Ingles (1826 - 1913)
  Elizabeth Eccles Ingles (____ - 1881)

  Annie Bachman Ingles (1872 - 1926)
Ogden City Cemetery
Weber County
Utah, USA
Plot: D-16-11-4E

Apparently there no children from Annie Bachman.

Emma Scholl's Journal:

On l5 June, 1909 I went to Maygler, Oregon to visit my sister
Annie. Her husband was foreman of the Oregon Lumber Company at
that mill. She kept the Post Office and a store for the company.
She was fond of rich food and candy. Will bought large salmon
trouts, weighing twelve pounds, caught in the Columbia river.
she loved the Company's horses and fed them sugar. One day a
horse reached through the window and took a loaf of bread off the
table. The cow came up and put her front feet on the steps. The
cat slept on her bed and when Will went out to the mill at night
the cat went with him.

I enjoyed waiting on the store and post - office while the mill
was running, but in the fall the mill closed down and all the
families moved away. Will had to stay and watch the mill. Annie
fed all the cats the people left behind. Will's brother, John
Inglis, was foreman at the planning mill at Inglis, about seven
miles from Mayger. In November I spent a week there with his
wife Marinda. She had two sons, Arlo and John. They were very
kind to me.

On 29 November 1909, my sister went to Portland to the Good
Samaritan hospital and was operated on by Dr. Marshall. They
said she had a fibroid tumor and they removed her female organs.
She was very ill and was in the hospital two months, until 28
January, 1910. The first part of January Will asked me to go to
the hospital and help take care of her. It was my menstrual
period and I did not feel like going, but he insisted, so I went.
On the way the worst accident of my life occurred from which I
have had pain all my life. We had to ride several miles over a
board road in a lumber wagon to get to the railroad. It had
rained for a month and it was very cold. There was ice on the
board road. The horses slipped and the wagon slid and bounced
up, so I was jerked from place where I was sitting. I felt a
terrible pain in my left side. The doctors in Portland said I
had ruptured an ovary. But Annie was ill and dopey with morphine
and screamed most of the time. I stayed at the hospital and
tried to help take care of her. On 28 January, 1910, we took her
to John Inglis's for a week, then we took her home. She still
took the sedative, which the doctor said he didn't authorize the
nurses in the hospital to give to her. The tablets resembled
small white navy beans. So will and I gave her beans in place of
the tablets and broke her of the habit. She was very thin,
weighed less than 90 pounds. But she soon started to gain in
weight and became very fleshy. Sixteen years later the doctors
said she had cancer and they operated on her and she died from
the anesthetic.

When my next menstrual period came on in February, I was very
ill. They sent for Dr. Wooden from Clatskanie and he said I had
peritonitis. In March I went to stay at John Inglis's and
Marinda took care of me. I stayed in bed for three weeks and Dr.
Wooden came every other day and gave me treatments. They were
local packs and were very painful. He also gave me several kinds
of medicine to take every hour. John and Marinda were very nice
to me. But I didn't improve much. I was in bed most of the day
until June. One day in June the Mill got on fire and burned the
mill, millions of feet of lumber, all the houses an store owned
by the Oregon Lumber company. It was the worst fire I ever saw.
I got up out of bed and walked to the next town, Quincy, and
asked at a house where I had never been, if I could have a bed,
as I was ill. They took me to an upstairs bedroom and I could
see the fire from the window. All day John Inglis carried things
out of his house and threw them down a well that was almost dry.
He had a gallon of buttermilk and he stopped and drank it between
trips. he threw all my clothes in the well. He dropped his
wife's diamond ring and later they killed a rooster and found the
ring in his craw.

1880 US Census:

1910 US Census: 

1912 Ogden Directory:

1920 US Census:

Portland Oregon directory, date unknown from Ancestory: 

Annie worked in the Pacific Coast Biscuit Company Building which is a building located in northwest Portland, Oregon, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Below is a modern picture of the building: 

Above: This photograph of three women packers at the Pacific Coast Biscuit Company was probably taken sometime between 1900 and 1905. The Pacific Coast Biscuit Company operated plants in Portland that manufactured cookies, crackers, candy, and macaroni. The photograph offers a glimpse into the working conditions experienced by women working in factory settings in turn-of-the-century Portland.
In 1900, very few Oregon women worked outside of the home--just over thirteen percent compared to the national figure of twenty percent. More women, twenty-five percent of the female population, worked for wages in Portland than elsewhere in the state. Although the majority worked as domestic help or as personal servants, the second largest group, nearly twenty percent of Portland’s female laborers, worked in mercantile & manufacturing industries. At the turn of the twentieth century, work formerly done in the home increasingly moved into factories. Women in urban areas found factory work sewing, laundering, baking, and fruit and vegetable canning, for example.

Above: Pacific Coast Biscuit Co., 1917

Once in the heart of industrial Northwest Portland, the Pacific Coast Biscuit Company building now finds itself in the heart of the sleek Pearl District. You’ll find a different looking group of people on this corner now; you’ll also find one fewer floors, as the top of this building was removed some time in the intervening years. This view is northeast on the corner of NW 12th and Davis; it’s now a parking garage.

Portland Oregon Death Index with certificate number:

Ogden Standard 1926 August:

SL Telegram August 18, 1926

Ogden Standard Examiner Aug 20, 1926

Emma Bachman:  "While we were still at the beach, August 14, 1926,
my sisterAnnie died in Oregon. Will took her body to Utah to bury
her. I did not go to the funeral. I should have gone to Oregon as he
gave away all her clothes, furniture, etc. besides hundreds of
quarts of fruit. She died on the operating table, her second
operation, cost Will over a thousand dollars each time. I
dislike doctors, drugs, surgery, poison serums and "shots" and
wish I had never had a doctor who uses any of them or who uses

the surgeon's knife."

 Death certificate:

Back side of death cert:

Annie was buried in Ogden Cemetery and later her husband was as well:


William Ingles, 1940 US census:

Notes on the 1940 census info: I think we can assume that either Fred or Shari Wilcox is Jeanette's child from a previous marriage.  Jeanette and William had only been married 12 years in 1940.  Strictly speaking, William is the step-father-in-law.  Depending on who was providing the census information, Fred or Shari,  Jeanette and William would be either mother and step-father or mother-in-law and father-in-law.  S

Wow, Jeanette and William died just months after the 1940 Census. Jeanette's child was taking care of 2 very ill relatives.