|Census Year||Film number||item number||beginning page||notes|
|1657||1185151||1||521||list of emigrants|
|1656||1185179||1||103||list of emigrants|
|cal 1657||1185179||1||142||list of Anabaptists|
|1661||1185179||3||75||list of conversions|
FamilySearch: The purpose of these population registers was originally to record the Protestant Reformed Church membership in the parishes of the Synod of Zürich, Switzerland. Approximately every three years lists of the members of all family households and those in Church service were made and sent in to the rector (Antistes) in Zürich. In addition to the names of each member of the household, ages, and often exact baptism dates are given, especially for the children, but often for the parents as well.
The column lists the Religious Knowledge of each member of the family:
Peter B: These Census reports (BV) of the local protestant pastors had to be sent to the Zurich central church (Grossmünster) from 1634 to about 1740 every May (or second or third year) to the head of the reformed church (Antistes) to be discussed at the Congregation of all pastors (see PDF). They served as control of how many souls (sheep) there were in the local parish and the knowledge of Christian literature. The kids had to learn by heart all kinds of things as already mentioned to you before according to age. Every year the pastor went to the family to check it out. Did they have a bible ? How religious were the parents ? The kids were asked test questions. This was a kind of school - because they learned at least spelling and a lot by heart .. Older than 15 years, these boys and girls were allowed to go and participate at the Abendmahl sermon. They also had to learn the 10 Gebote (Commandmends), Psalms, Katechisms etc.
Photocopies of the originals E II 210 - E II 271; 1972 newly created by Werner Debrunner]. The population registers ("Catalogi", "Gmeind-Rödel" etc.) were created at the instigation of antistes Johann Jakob Breitinger (1575-1645). In order to tighten up the catechumens in the city and in the countryside, the "Ordnung der Dienien der Kilchen in der Statt und uff der Landtschafft Zürich" of 3. On 3 May 1628, the "Order of the Servants of the Kilchens in the place and on the territory of Zurich" of 3 May 1628 called upon every priest subordinate to the Zurich Synod "to bring every year and every special year the names of all Hußvätteren, children and ministers into an orderly register, so that he would know the number of all trusted souls" (Mandate Collection III AAb 1.2, No. 34; Edition: Zürcher Kirchenordnungen, Vol. 1, No. 238, p. 676).
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
In order to tighten up the catechumens in the city and in the countryside, the "Ordnung der Dienien der Kilchen in der Statt und uff der Landtschafft Zürich" of 3. On 3 May 1628, the "Order of the Servants of the Kilchens in the place and on the territory of Zurich" of 3 May 1628 called upon every priest subordinate to the Zurich Synod "to bring every year and every special year the names of all Hußvätteren, children and ministers into an orderly register, so that he would know the number of all trusted souls" (Mandate Collection III AAb 1.2, No. 34; Edition: Zürcher Kirchenordnungen, Vol. 1, No. 238, p. 676).
After until spring 1634 only very few predicate priests had followed the call, mayor and council saw themselves again compelled - this time in connection with the fight against the "careless swearing, swearing and blasphemy" in the city and the countryside - to seriously urge the dilatory pastors to deliver their lists to the May Synod in 1634 (E II 2, p. 75).
The catalogues were then united chapter by chapter, bound into three folios and thus presented to the Synod. (E II 2, P.105). In addition to the Protestant parishes of Zurich, they include those of the Canton of Thurgau, the lower Rhine Valley, the parishes of Tegerfelden and Zurzach in Aargau and the Schaffhausen villages of Burg, Dörflingen and Stein am Rhein. In a three-year cycle they were each newly included until 1649. However, they then broke off and generally only resumed around 1670/1671. In irregular succession, they partly reach deep into the 18th century. They are continued in the household toboggans (E III), which were built by the priests for their own use.
In the interest of a more appropriate use of the original volumes (E II 210 - E II 271), which are arranged according to parish chapters, and at the same time to protect them, Xerox re-enlargements were made of the microfilms produced in the course of the security filming of valuable holdings of the State Archives. The indexes, now grouped by parish, have been open for use since the end of 1972. The originals will only be made available upon justified request.
Since the directories go beyond bare lists of names and ages to include the catechetical knowledge of the individual persons as well as the books available in the families, they are equally valued as genealogical sources and as sources of population and cultural history. This can be seen in particular from the following studies:
- Strehler, Hedwig: Contributions to the cultural history of the Zurich landscape, church and school in the 17th and 18th centuries. Diss. phil. I. Zurich 1934 (partial print).
- Strehler, Hedwig: Kulturgeschichtliche Bilder aus der Zürcher Landschaft im 17. und 18. Jahrhundert, in: Zürcher Taschenbuch auf das Jahr 1935 = Neue Folge 55, 1934, pp. 32-119 - Wartburg-Ambühl, Marie-Louise von: Literacy and Reading. Study using the example of a rural region in the 17th and 18th centuries. Bern 1981 (European University Theses. I/459).
A review of all the registers of 120 parishes in Zurich in the State Archives with regard to the level of education of the population has shown, for example, that in the following population registers the corresponding persons are listed with the words "read and write
Albisrieden 1637 (!)
Altstetten 1646 (!)
Dielsdorf 1694, 1727
Dietlikon 1711, 1723
Enge 1637 (!)
Fällanden 1695, 1710
Flaach und Volken 1727, 1732, 1736/37, 1760
Hausen am Albis 1762
Herrliberg 1634 (!)
Höngg und Engstringen 1728/1733
Lindau 1678, 1682, 1723
Oetwil am See 1762/1763
Schlieren 1694, 1710