Saturday, November 30, 2019

Historical Gazetteer of Switzerland - Ottenbach

Polit. Gem. ZH, Bez. Affoltern. Village near the Reuss river on the border with Canton Aargau. 831 in loco vocato marcha Hotumbacharia, 1169 Arnoldus de Ottonbac.

1467 22 households;
1650 320 inhabitants;
1850 1'169;
1900 1'107;
1950 971;
2000 2'164.

Roman estate on the Isenberg. The settlement of O. developed around a crossroads. After the village fire of 1753, the building was loosened. O. was part of the Maschwander court in the Zurich bailiwick Knonau. A lieutenant priest and indirectly the parish church are mentioned in 1226 (copy 14th century). Johann von Gösgen owned the patronage rights in 1323, the tithe he shared with the monastery of St. Leodegar in Lucerne.

At the end of the 15th century, the priest Johann Günther appears as the church lord of O.; after accepting a canon's lord in 1488 in Zurich's Grossmünster, he had to renounce the parish lord's lord around 1492 under pressure from Zurich's council. Probably in order to expand the sovereignty of the country, in 1493 Zurich took over the fiefdom over the Pound.

In 1566, according to a letter of referral, the community was led by four jurors. The approx. 200 Jucharten common land used 52 so-called justice owners. In Helvetics, the civil community of O. together with the other five civil communities of the then parish of O. became a political community. O. was united. Socio-cultural misunderstandings - the village of O. was home industrialised, while its outside guards were peasant - led to disputes among other things, so that in 1847 these five civil communities were separated around Obfelden.

In 1850 O. abolished the civil community and in 1855 he transferred the forest use shares to a corporation.

In 1784 the cotton mill employed 49% of the population. The Kant. The census of 1836 points to "numerous weavers".

The Bodmer & Hürlimann silk weaving mill, opened in 1867 and 1871 respectively (from 1887 onwards Mechan. Seidenstoffweberei Zürich AG), was transferred to A.F. Haas in 1932 and ceased production in 1975. Reussbrücke since 1864.

Total improvement in 1966. The building zone planning from 1956-60 initiated the development into a periurban residential community. In 2005 the 2nd sector provided 24%, the 3rd 68% of the jobs in the municipality.

Translated with (free version)