Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The History of George Scholl

George Scholl was born in August 6, 1886 in Falls City, Richardson County, Nebraska. He lived to be 80 years of age.
George's Parents (Audrey): His father was Frederick Scholl. He was born in New York City, February 16, 1849. He was employed in a piano house carving legs while he was a boy. He left New York at the age of 17. He reviewed the remains of President Lincoln when the White House was in New York. He attended Sunday School for nine years without missing a Sunday and received a Bible as a reward. He died when he was 80 years old in Portland Oregon on May 30, 1929.
George's Mother: Fanny Weinert, was born May 15, 1853, in Buffalo, Erie, N.Y. Fanny came to Nebraska with her parents when she was six years old. Indians often frightened her, they also gave her strings of beads. She died on June 1, 1922. She was almost 69 years old. George was 36 years old at the time of his mother's death.
(Kent): There is no record of their marriage but they had eleven children. George was the sixth child. First they had four girls, Emma, Elizabeth, Anna and Laura. Then came three boys, Philip Frederick, George Fred and August Philip. A girl came next: Clara Lydia. Then there were twins born to the family named Edna Fanny and Edgar Fred. Frederick Clarence was the baby of the family, born in 1897 when Fanny was 44 years old. All of the children were born in Aargo, Richardson, Nebraska. Fanny had the children over a twenty year period.
Grandfather on Father's Side: His grandfather was Philip Scholl. He was born on February 12, 1826 in Graben, Baden, Germany. After living in Germany he immigrated to New York. He was a shoemaker. He died, 13 days before his 71st birthday in Falls City, Rachardson Nebraska on January 30, 1897. George was 10 years old. He married Elizabeth Kelch. She was born May 11, 1828 in El Saso, Germany and died at the age of 75 in Falls City, Rachardson, Nebraska on December 7, 1903. They had eight children from 1849 to 1865. (16 years) the First was Frederick, then Elizabeth, Philip, Christina, Elizabeth, Lydia, George Philip and Josephine.
Grandfather on Mother's Side: George's mother's father was August Weinert. He was a furniture maker. He was a Catholic in Germany but joined the protestant faith when he came to America. He was born on January 17, 1832 in Prussia, Germany and died 65 years later in 1897. His wife, Freda Vander Schaef born was born in 1832 in Amsterdam, Holland, and it is said she came from a wealthy family. When she was 17 her father lost all of his wealth. He then came to America, Buffalo, New York. While there, he had a stroke and the doctors bled him. He then contracted tuberculoses and soon thereafter he died from its effects.
Early Life (Audrey): Little is known about George and his family when he was young. Because he became a carpenter later in life it is assumed that his father and his grandfather's occupations were taught to George at an early age. We find that the family moved to the Portland Oregon area when George was in his teens.
Dating (Kent): Emma met Laura Scholl while she was in Portland, Oregon.
(Emma): Laura Scholl, who was employed at Meier and Frank's asked me to drop her a card when I got settled in Los Angeles. I never had any idea that by doing so, I would meet my future husband. She gave her brother George my address and soon after (my) mother came to L.A., he (George) came on a trip and called on us. He and his friend, Gust Oberst, later got a room not far from our apartment. He kept calling and we went on trips to parks, beaches, etc. He never returned to Portland. Mother was very friendly and she liked him. In June, 1914, I had a vacation. Evelyn Goodwin, one of her friends and I took a trip to San Diego on a boat. We stayed at the U.S. Grant Hotel. We also went on a boat to Mexico. I liked San Diego. When I returned to the office, Mr. Harnish said he was glad, as he couldn't even find a girl who had common sense, far less knowledge. On Christmas he gave me a fountain pen.
(Emma): Business became so slack that Mulder and Harnish had to quit, so I went to San Diego to look for a job. Mr. Scholl went with me and we stayed a week, but I did not find a job, so we came back to L.A. After trying a couple of jobs, I finally found a good one at Renshaw, Jones and Sutton paper. Box Factory on East San Pedro Street. (They went together for about a year.)
Marriage 1915 (Emma): On 26th May, 1915, George Scholl and I were married at the West Adams Chapel. A few of the California missionaries were present, also Elizabeth Reeder and Calvin Fagg. We left that evening for San Diego where we lived for a year. We rented a three room apartment on 30th and Ivy streets. We could see the Fair Grounds across the Canyon. Mother came to San Diego and rented a nice apartment for $9 a month. She liked it very much. We attended church. They built a new Chapel. Samuel Daley, of L.A., who built West Adams Chapel was contractor and George worked for him.
Living in San Diego (Emma): George's sister Laura and Nell Smith came to see us and go to the Fair. Charlotte came at the same time. She stayed with us and we rented a room downstairs  for Laura and Nell. We went on trips to Tji Juana, Mexico, Ramona's Home, Old Town, Ocean Beach, La Jolla, Coronado and Mission Cliff Gardens. The climate was very nice. Charlotte slept on a cot in the dining room. My health was very poor, so she did most of the work, so I could go on trips with them., Mary Jones, Josie Reno and her mother also came to visit us. My brother William Stone and wife Lue visited mother and us.
Living in a Tent (Emma): Brother Barnson was President of the Branch. He was a Real Estate man and his signs were all over the City. George did not have much work and wages were low. He had borrowed $250 from Gust Oberst which he had to repay. In January 1916, he got a job on a Radio station up in the hills above San Diego. We lived in a tent. It rained six days and washed away bridges. Mother kept her apartment in the city. My sister Elizabeth Reeder and her husband William and daughter Elizabeth Reeder came to see us. Elizabeth and her father walked up to the tent to see us. We went down to mother's apartment to see my sister. We lived in the tent three months.
Emma's First Trip Utah (Emma): In April, 1916, I  decided to go to Utah and get mother's furniture out of storage, where we put it when we sold the house in Ogden a couple of years before. I took a boat to L.A. and was very sick for five hours. I took a train to Ogden and stayed at my brother Joseph's. I took the furniture out of storage.
They Move Back To Los Angeles (Emma): Since work was so scarce in San Diego, George came back to L.A. Mother liked San Diego so well and did not want to leave her nice little apartment like she had in San Diego. The climate wasn't as nice, either, and she was never well any more as she was there. She went to stay at Sister Miller's, a sister she knew in the church and her health began to fail from then on.
(Emma): I returned to Los Angeles in July 1916, and we rented a six room, well furnished house at 842 west 49th Street from Anna Manner, a German lady who lived in a house in the rear. She went to work most of the time. Our rent was $18 a month and she paid the water. We also bought a tent and slept out in it.
Audrey Is Born! (Emma): On 15 October, 1916, (They had been married a little over a year.) Sunday morning, Audrey May was born in the good Samaritan Hospital, Dr. Edna F. Jerrue, physician. I disliked the hospital very much, got poor care, and had sad experience with caked breasts and cracked nipples. As my organs had been prolapsed before, the uterus came out after I began to work. I nursed Audrey for nine months. She cried a lot and didn't grow very fast. I was very nervous. Mother stayed with us. I remember being in West Adams chapel one afternoon when Audrey was a baby. George was holding her. President Joseph Robinson was conducting the meeting. A girl, Vera Clayton, was singing a solo when we had an earthquake, quite a hard shake. I think the center of it was at Hemet. The girl kept right on singing. A lot of the people, including George, got up and were going to leave the Chapel, but didn't. (When Audrey was born George was 30 years old and Emma was 29 years old.)
Emma's Mother Lives With Them (Emma): In the spring of 1919 we moved to a small house at 634 West 47th street. We paid $11 a month rent. George built a large sleeping porch and we slept on it. Joyce Brown was the landlord's daughter. I took Audrey to Sunday school at West Adams from the time she was two and a half years old. Mother always went to Church. She lived with us.
(Emma): In Fall of 1920 our rent was raised so on 14 September, 1920, we bought a lot from Alice Johnson for $1850. Mother rented a room on 10th and Maple, where she spent her last days on earth. George built a three room house on the rear of the lot and we moved there. The last time I remember mother coming to our house at 624 Hobart was on Christmas day, 1920.
(Emma): When our first Stake was organized, Katherine Stewart was put in as Stake Relief Society President. She asked me to be her Stake Secretary. I was afraid to try it on account of Mr. Scholl not being a member and not being very favorable to the Church. But I offered to teach Martha Lillywhite the work. So she came over many times with her books.
Golden Gate Begins (Emma): We sold the place at 624 No. Hobart and September 10, 1921, bought a lot from Mr. Hartman at 1636 Golden Gate Avenue for $2,000. George started soon after to put up the framework of the house which took him seven years to complete, and he has been doing some work on it ever since, which did not improve it. He took away the lovely sun patio, the distinguishing feature of the  house, enclosed and roofed a porch, which made the dining room dark and gloomy.
Morkins (Emma): Audrey and I stayed at William and Bess Morkins while he was building the house. Their house was at 1633 Michelorena. They were the best neighbors I ever had in California. Audrey went to Kindergarten and got whooping cough and was sick, vomiting and coughing all winter. George went to Portland on account of the sickness of his sister. Morkins were very kind to me and helped with Audrey. We lived in the two back rooms, had a gas range in one bedroom. We just had the rough lumber wide board floors, which we covered with building paper and had to recover it when it got dirty. (They lived in two rooms and had a small hot plate stove in one of them during the construction of the Golden Gate House. It took seven years to complete the home.
George's Second Girl Is Born (Emma): Elaine Mary was born Tuesday, 7:30 p.m., April 28th, 1925 in a large sleeping porch with twelve windows on the southeast end of our house. The day before, Brother Peterson his wife Ethel came.  I did not send for them. He came to administer to me and as he did so, tears ran down his cheeks. He said he felt impressed that I would be a recorder in the next life. I had lots of experience in it here. Annie D. Snow, a counselor in the Relief Society came on Tuesday before meeting. I told her to go to meeting and pray for me. I was alone all afternoon. As I was having pains quite regularly, I asked Mrs. Lewis at 4:00 to phone for Dr. Abbott. He came at 5:00 p.m. I got supper for him and George who came soon after. While they ate I took a hot bath about 6:30 p.m. Elaine was born at 7:30 p.m. (Emma was 38 ½ years old.)
George Sneaks Back Into The House: About November 1, Elaine began to breathe like a man snoring. It was in the night. In the morning I phoned from Butlers phone for Chas B. Stewart to come and administer to her. He came at 8:00am and administered to her. His wife was with him. They said every one had sore throats. If I had only been wise after all my experience with doctors and had no more I would have saved myself lots of work and money. But the Relief Society President now urged me to have her doctor. He said Elaine was a lovely baby and only had Tonsillitis, but he took a culture and the next day they quarantined us and that is a fake like the doctor. They put George out of the house, but he came back after dark and left after daylight, so I had his meals to cook. I almost died with all the work of sterilizing with Lysol. They sent another doctor and forced us to pay his bill but I had enough of doctors. I refused the antitoxin, drugs, etc. which he recommended. I have never given my girls any drugs or "shots," except Audrey vaccination for small pox. I used soda water to gargle, gave Epsom Salts baths. Even though I had the diphtheria, I took care of the girls and even fixed George's food, though he was supposed to be staying elsewhere, also. Elaine got over the diphtheria first, though she got it last.
George Buys a Model T, Finishes Golden Gate:George bought a used Model T. Ford for $110. (From Fred Walker.) After seven years working on it, he at last finished the house and garage. So  in June 1928, I urged him to let me put an ad in the paper to rent it, so we could go to Oregon to see his father who was 79 years old. We leased it to Mr. Ginsberg, owner of Bell Potato Chip Company for $75 a month. He paid $150 for first and last month's rent. We leased it for a year, but they stayed in it ten years until they built a home of their own, and were very good tenants. During the depression of 1930's we had to lower the rent. (They stayed for 10 years.) (The rental of that home covered their rent and some during the depression that
Special Vacation to Oregon (Emma): We packed our clothes, after storing what little furniture we had in the attic of the garage, and on June 22nd, 1928, we started for Oregon. We had an army cot and some blankets. The first night we camped in a kind of a camping grounds in Santa Barbara. We stayed with our old neighbor's, Morkins, in Berkeley for a night or so. We next went to Sacramento and stayed at Alta Cooley Root's, 3116 C. Street, a night or two. We had our pictures taken with her two boys George and John. We stayed in auto camps and rented a cabin the rest of the way. They were cheap and very nice. One place in Oregon George got too close to the edge of the road and we tipped over in a ditch. He had to get a farmer with a team of horses to pull the car out of the ditch. We stayed a week at George's sister in Salem. Her husband Emil was very religious. I tried to talk to her about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, but she was very prejudiced against it. She had three children, Willard, Naomi and Emma. They had a farm on which they raised onions. They also had fruit trees and we stopped on our way back to California and ate delicious prunes. Emma died with Tuberculosis March 22, 1944. I never saw her again.
(Emma): Naomi, also died with the same disease later. Brooks was the name of the town where they lived. It was near Salem. We spent most of the summer at George's father's house, 679 Locust Street, Portland. He is the only grandparent Elaine ever saw, the others being dead before she was born. She had her picture taken with him. His grand daughter, Leona Bingaman, kept house for him. Fred was the only one not married. He was still at home. He had a cabin up near Mt. Hood and we spent a week there. It was in the midst of very tall evergreen trees and ferns were all over the ground. Wild berries grew all around there. We stayed with Gus and Emma a few days. We visited Laura and John Zinser. We went out in the country and picked berries and they were very cheap. I canned 125 quarts of berries and fruit and shipped it to L.A. on a boat. George's father's house had a basement where I canned it. It was an 8 room two story house. George's father was well and not at all nervous. He went on lots of trips with us. Once our Church had a picnic in a park and he went with us. We went to  our Church some Sundays.
Prunes and Peaches (Emma): We started home in September, stopped at Emma's and enjoyed the prunes and peaches. We attended Laura's funeral in the Evangelical Church in Portland just before we left. She died August 27th, 1928, giving birth to her second baby, Lawrence Zinser. He first baby had died at birth. Emma Hornschuch raised Lawrence. Leona Bingaman also married soon afterward and she died giving birth to her first child. Her sister Laura Roby lived in Portland. We also visited Edward and Fred Voegelein, Aunt Minnie's sons, and her daughter Kate Daugherty in Lebanon and Brooks.
(Emma): We had a nice trip on the way back. The auto camp cabins in Oregon had little wood heaters and plenty of wood to burn in them. Nights were a little chilly already.
(Emma): We arrived in Glendale, California, September 17th, 1928 and rented a nice house from Mr. Sands at 345 Burchette. We all had bad vomiting and colds soon after arriving in Glendale, except Elaine. She ate spinach and lots of fruits and milk as well as her toast and she didn't get sick. We were so sick she was the only one up and eating for two or three days. Burchette was such a noisy street in the 3000 block, so we only stayed there three months or so.
(Audrey): George went to the L.D. S. church a few times and occasionally attended the church dinners.
(Emma): In January, 1929 we moved to 3321 Drew Street, L.A., and rented the house from Mina Everett, a lady of 76 who was getting a minister's pension from the Baptist Church. She lived in a little house in rear.
Helping Church Members Get Home (Emma): January 1st, 1933, we had a cloud burst, 13 inches of rain in one night and day. It washed out all the bridges and many homes in the hills above Glendale. We went to Church in the old Ford. Most of the people's cars wouldn't run in such deep water, so we took some of the people home. That night we slept outside in our inside place and we were dry. But the roof of our house leaked badly. In February Elaine had the measles. We moved her in the front bed room. Had Frank Dewsnup administer to her. Gave her potassium broth and tomato juice.
Good Tenants (Emma): Ralph Cooley owned the house on 822 Fischer in 1930 when we rented it. It was furnished and we paid $35 rent a month. He lost the place and the Pacific States Loan Company acquired it. One day when I was lying out on my out door bed, a man came in the back yard and said he represented the Loan Company and he wished to see the house. I took him in the back door and all through. When I told him, he said, "This is the cleanest house I ever saw, and we will reduce your rent to $20 a month." In the summer of 1934 we went to Utah and they let George have the house without any rent for helping him paint it, etc. They redecorated it, then sold it. George had the first chance to buy it cheap, but he waited to write to me instead of sending a telegram. I was sorry, as I liked it there very much and it was near the Chapel. Morkins stayed with him that summer.
Another Move (Emma): George moved to 605 Lincoln while we were gone. Morkins went there  with him. We got a ride to L.A. with Peter Clayton's son Paul in September 1934. Elaine still went to John Muir School, six blocks away and had to take lunch. She played with the Bishop girl next door. Lexie Hanson lived near and we became good friends. I went to her house and took sun baths on her
garage roof.
(Emma): In June 1935, George gave up the Lincoln house and rented a small apartment, which was very nice and he like it.
(Emma): Audrey graduated from two year course at Junior College in June 1936 and soon got a job in Security First National Bank, 6th and Spring, L.A., where she worked the next six years. (Audrey recalls that George worked on the Federal Building downtown Los Angeles, during this time. They drove to work together as she also worked downtown. I tried to get her to go on a mission that summer, but she was only 19 years old and when Bishop Olson asked George, he refused to give his consent. Audrey was a Gleaner Girl President in M.I.A. in 1936.
(Emma): I got lots of figs that summer (1936) and made George a lot of jam.
George Moves Back To Golden Gate (Emma): While we were in Utah, George and Audrey had moved back to our house at 1636 Golden Gate Avenue, L.A., which we had rented to Ginsbergs for ten years. In September, 1938, Elaine and I went back to L.A., after being in Utah twenty two months.
(Emma): She and Audrey both drove their father's car, as we could go to church in it now.
Grandpa in Jail! (Jim Gardiner): Grandpa has been irritated by a dog that lived across the fence. To get the dog to stop barking he had thrown a clod at it because he couldn't sleep. These people got the police on him and he had to come down before a judge, the judge sentenced him to two weeks in jail. And he had to spend it in jail! He had left his car down in a pay lot, and he called us come down and get his car, he had a key under the running board and we went down and got his car and brought it back home. He had to call from jail, they wouldn't let him do anything. That is incredible that it had happened, because people get away with terrible crimes and he was just trying to get some sleep. We had the house to ourselves for two weeks, the hard way.
(Jim Gardiner): The neighbor up the hill had a dog and the dog died and all the fleas came over right next to the garage. I can remember going to church and sitting in church and picked fleas off of us and pinched them with our fingernails to kill them. It was terrible.
Studio Carpenter (Audrey): During the late 1930's Elaine and Emma moved back into the Golden Gate home. During the 1930's and 1940's George went to work for the studios as a studio carpenter. He belonged to he union of which he was very proud. In the evenings he would listen to Aimee Simple Mc Pherson, founder of the foursquare church, although I recall that he was "a real channel changer."
(Emma): In June 1941, I went to Utah alone, as Elaine stayed with her father and Audrey. December 18th, 1941, Audrey married Glen Arthur Kroksh in the Mesa Temple.
(Audrey): It was during this time that George began attending the Presbyterian Church. He was always very proud of his church affiliation and I recall making refreshments for church social groups that occasionally met at our home.
(Audrey): Jim and Elaine went to Utah State, Emma went to live in Farmington and Glen and I moved out. This left George to himself. He worked on a housing tract in Culver City for a time, then worked at the nearby Presbyterian Church. There he did work while they paid him for his materials. He also did small carpentry jobs for many years there after to support himself.
(Audrey): In 1946 Glen and I moved back in with George and stayed 4 years. After the war he had a bump on his head. He thought it was cancerous and went back to Nebraska for a medical check up. The doctors said it was not cancer. While he was back in Nebraska he bought a yellow Packard convertible and drove it out to California and sold it to us.
Grandpa Goes to Utah (Jim Gardiner): In the Summer of 1947 Audrey, Glen and Grandpa came to visit us. We all went up to Logan canyon in Grandpa Scholl's Packard with Kent, Elaine and I in the rumble seat. We took pictures of me and Grandpa holding Kent.
(Jim): In the winter of 1947 we had a 35 Chevy that Grandpa had given us the prior summer, Glen and Audrey had brought it up from California. We didn't drive it much because of the expense but one time Elaine and I went down to Logan on the ice and I turned it around scaring Elaine half to death. At the time we lived in Providence
George Gives Elaine a Car (Emma): (1948) Elaine did not feel able to go there (Wisconsin) with two babies, so June went to L.A. in the car George gave Elaine. Audrey and Glen had been living with George since June. Jim stayed with them a while and looked for jobs. He came back in Audrey's car with George's trailer in October. I packed Elaine's things in the trailer, also my clothes and some canned fruit. We left October 25th. Jim got a job at Ionic Equipment Co, 704 N. Kenmore, where he worked before the war.
Good Babysitter (Audrey): While we were living in L.A., we would go to the show quite often. Grandpa Scholl would watch the children and we would enjoy seeing a good show. Elaine liked musicals. We would just walk in. Glen worked there.
George and June Feed Sandy Strange Food (Emma): At 4:00 am July 22nd, Elaine went to a hospital and Mark was born that morning. I didn't like to see her go to a hospital, the first one she was ever in. In two days she came home. Mark was a lovely baby. I took care of him. I had Elaine stay in bed for 10 or 12 days. Sandra slept in George's porch, Kent in my room and Mark in the dining room, later in the middle bed-room. George had built a nice little sunny house in the back yard and he slept there. Mark was a little yellow. Elaine said he was white when he was born. I gave him catnip tea. Elaine nursed him and he soon got white. He was her largest baby and easiest to care for. I rubbed him several times a day. Sandra had a skin eruption. I put her on orange juice and certified milk, then the only raw milk we could buy in L.A. After buying raw milk there since 1913, it was now forbidden. June and George gave Sandra food I didn't approve of feeding a two year old. Raising children around five grown ups was...a sad mistake. Kent was suffering with catarrh from the mucus clogging his organs. Elaine had grown very nervous in the two years since she left Utah. She and June looked for houses a great deal of the time. They made a deposit on one in East Glendale Ward on Wing Street, but backed out. They later bought one at 914 N. Isabel in Glendale West Ward. I bought Kent a youth bed, Mark a crib and some other things for Elaine with the $150 dollars Mrs. Chaffin gave me. They moved just before Christmas, but Kent stayed with us for several weeks. He loved to have me read to him. Jim told Elaine he didn't want me to ever darken his doors. I went over once, the first Tuesday in February and asked Elaine to go to Relief Society.  She refused, so I went to her ward and I knew many of the sisters who lived in Glendale when we did. Olive Marshall was President. I subscribed for Relief Society Magazine, Era and Children's Friend for Elaine past three years (1953). I never went to their house any more. But they came to dinner at our house many Sundays.  Audrey came, also and Glen worked.
(Audrey): In the 1950's George worked as a carpenter on his own. He didn't do whole houses although he made a good living at small jobs. The room off of the dining room was his room. In 1951 Glen and I moved out and Jim and Elaine stayed. It was in August that I remember picking up Elaine and bringing her and Mark home from the hospital.
(Kent): Duing the 1960's George was known as a kind, thoughtful generous Grandfather. He enjoyed surprising the grandchildren with watermelon, ice cream, or carrot juice. He would go to the factory and bring Hanson's carrot juice to the grandchildren. I recall how grandfather enjoyed macaroons, potatoes and Ralph's apple pie. He was always kind and even-tempered and thoughtful with each of us.
Elaine Dies in 1960 (Emma): Tuesday morning 30 August 1960 Audrey phoned to Charlotte to tell her my darling Elaine had just died. I talked to Audrey Wednesday 31 August and told her to excuse me from attending the funeral. I could not stand to see her seven dear children's sorrow at her passing. I prayed for my lovely Elaine, taught her the gospel, and worked for her 35 years. I thank the Lord for sparing me the awful ordeal of seeing her die and seeing her poor sick body lowered in the grave. She has fulfilled her mission of motherhood and I pray her work in the spirit world will bring her happiness. (George was 74 years old, Emma was 72 years old.)
George's Auto Accident (Audrey): She spent the  winter of 1962 in St. George. In the spring of 1963 Dad (George) had an auto accident, running into his porch and spent about a month at my home, 2821 Shadowlawn Avenue. His health was beginning to fail. At this same time Mother went to Farmington, had the church and the Relief Society help her and she went to the hospital and had a hysterectomy.
George Sells Golden Gate House: In August of 1963 mother came on the plane to Los Angeles. Dad sold the house on Golden Gate in the fall of 1963, which he had spent about two years remodeling and redecorating.
George Buys the Paterson House (Audrey): Dad  bought a house on Paterson in Glendale, where he moved in January. His health was not good, and he needed a better diet for his diabetes, so he went to stay with a friend Marjorie Carter for 3 or 4 months. He then came to stay with us. He bought a 19 foot trailer to sleep in which we put in the back yard. Jim, Kent, Mark, Glen and Gerry spent about 5 hours jacking it up and down to get it in the yard, and over three years later we had about the same trouble getting it out. Dad spent Saturdays taking care of the yard on Paterson and finally sold it. He could not drive a car anymore although he would have like to.
George Stays With Jim and Carol (Audrey): In August of 1965 Glen, Hank Broc, Gerry and I took a trip to the Grand Canyon and Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell. We bought a new 1965 Ford Station Wagon on the way our car gave up. Dad stayed at Gardiner’s while we were gone.
Emma Goes To St. George One Last Time:Mother bought a house trailer in St. George and lived in it for awhile
George Moves Into A Sanitarium (Audrey):Mother was staying in an apartment near us. While Dad was staying with us he got lost many times and we were afraid, with both of us working, that we were not able to keep him from going away and getting lost or hurt. A couple of times Dad wandered around the city. One time he got lost and we found him asleep up on a hill near our home. Another time he was found in South L.A. Finally we had to take him to the J.C. Perkins lock up rest home or sanitarium owned by a his friend, J.C. Perkins. The first day we put him in the rest home he walked out, went to a Safeway and called me to come and take home.
(Audrey): During this time I we would pick him up and take him to dinner at our house. On the way back as we would pass by Sunset he would point up the street and say "Let's go that way." (toward the Golden Gate House.) However when we would arrive at the rest home a nurse would come out and say it was time for dinner and he would go without an argument.
A Stroke: January of 1967, Dad had a cold, then a stoke which we think he probably had several small strokes and took pneumonia and died. He was quite feeble and we were glad he was only really bedfast a few days. He was 80 years old. He is remembered with fondness by his children and grandchildren.)
(Kent): Grandpa Scholl is buried in the Grandview Cemetery in Glendale.
The Family Is Sealed: We finally got Dad's Temple work done and sheets back from the temple ready for the sealings, and we took mother to the Temple in July of 1969 and had our family sealed. Glen was proxy for Dad and Carol for Elaine.
Emma Dies (Audrey): Sunday morning, October 12, 1969, Jeffrey's birthday. She was buried at Valhalla not too far from Elaine and Glen's father and the lots that we have. (She was 81 years old)