Saturday, February 20, 2016

2010 Nauvoo Trip

Dennis: 931 267 2700
4:30 – 5:00
Dennis W Jones and Maxine
2849 Oak Park Dr
Cookeville, TN 38506-5041
(931) 854-0355
Take the 40 east 1 hr and 12 minutes

Holiday In Express exit 287 on rt.
1228 Bunker Hill Road
Cookville, Tn

Chief Motel
2701 Main St
39 a night
phone: 319 524-2565

Marjorie Reddington
W 286 S 4785
Woods Road
       Waukeshu WI 53188

Ron and Sandy Blunck
3921 Ben Franklin Dr.
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494-3488
Middle of State

Nashville, Tn airport
On US 40

Kroksh Family in Nauvoo
1. Benjamin Gardner 1801- 1875 lived 20 miles south of Nauvoo,
When he was burned out of his home he was rescued by

Benjamin and Electa Gardiner came to Nauvoo and settled 20 miles south at Bear Creek, on Green Plains, north of the Morley settlement.  Benjamin owned 160 acres.  They lived there until a mob came in and destroyed their home and crops.  Many of the family were sick.  The mob rode up in the morning and ordered the family out.  Benjamin told the mob the family was sick and he had no place to take them.  It make no difference to them  The mob helped carry the bedding out to the dew covered grass and then carried out the sick children.  They set fire to the house and in the morning Electa cooked breakfast over the coals of the burning house.  When news of this reached Nauvoo, Jonathan S. Wells went after Benjamin with his team and wagon.  He took them to his home in Nauvoo where they stayed for some time.  Benjamin later went back for some corn and things in the cellar but it was all taken by the mob.
Johathan S. Wells:
Nauvoo : Block 94, Lot 3, Tenant
T6R8, Sec 12, SE
(Partridge and White)
looking north it is the NE corner

2.  Shadrack Holdaway, his father was Timothy Holdaway, gf of Marth Vilate Holdaway
T7 R8, Sec 9 10 acres NW/4

Shedrick joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints 30 April 1843 and that fall went to Nauvoo, remaining there until the Saints were driven out by the mob in 1846. While in Council Bluffs the call came for 500 men to volunteer for the War with Mexico and Shedrick Holdaway was one of them. He filled the position of teamster for Company C. of the Mormon Batalion under Captain James Brown and Lieutenant Rosencrans. He was with the company during the entire campaign until they were discharged from service 16 July 1847 at Los Angeles, after which time he spent six months working for Dan Williams. He bought a team and wagon and had maid preparations to join the saints in UT when the news of the gold discovery was brought to Los Angeles. On his way home he stopped for a little while at the Forks of the American River where he did a little mining and took out about three thousand dollars worth of gold dust. From books and the reproduction on the screen of life in CA during the gold rush, we gain a rather perfect idea of the lawlessness that prevailed. in the camp where he stayed he said that a night seldom passed without a man being killed either in a drunken brawl or by one of the few Spanish women who resented his indifference. He had boated that she would get him yet. He said that one night he awake from a sound sleep as he heard his mother call "Shedrick, Shedrick, Shedrick". He interrupted that to be a warning as his mother was still in IL, and he immediately arose and left the camp and started for Salt Lake. He arrived in the valley 24 October 1848 with three thousand dollars in gold dust and was the first man to pay his tithing in CA gold dust.

Gardiner’s in Nauvoo
Charles Hulet was born in 1790. While living in Portage, Ohio, he built a blacksmith shop and made a living as a wheelwright, wagon maker and blacksmith. He also had a cottage industry of making chairs. Charles discovered sugar maple trees and set up a cheese-making factory. The enterprise had much to do with the prosperity of Portage County for the next seventy-five years.

Parley P. Pratt was asked to hold a meeting in their home. All the Hulets who were old enough in October 1830 were later baptized. In 1832 they became social outcasts because of their membership in the church. In fear of their lives, they moved to Jackson County, Missouri where they settled an area and formed the Hulet Branch.
They were driven from the area. Charles said, “In 1838 a large body of men came upon us with orders to exterminate or drive us from the State, they also burned my fence and killed one of my cows and took one gun from me which has never been returned.” Charles was forced to leave behind his property worth $4,000.

Eventually the family escaped to Nauvoo where they helped with the construction of the Nauvoo Temple. Charles and Margaret were sealed in the Nauvoo Temple on December 18, 1845.
Charles Hulet b 1793
Nauvoo : Block 26, Lot 4
Wells: Block 4
Carlos and Partridge
Looking north it would be the northwest corner

David Stoker (Four children including David, died in Council bluffs Iowa)
Probably lived in an outlying area
David’s brother Michael owned land in Nauvoo:
Jacob Stoker was here as well:
And Eller Stoker
T4 R8 (Wythe)

John W. Stoker T4R7 Bear Creek

:Bear Creek.jpg

Brown’s in Nauvoo
Benjamin Brown
Kimball 1st: Block 5, Lot 45
(Arlington and Parley, walk north a bit)
may also be Nauvoo 123?

John Anthony Woolf
T6R8 Sec 4 SE 160 Acres

James Miller
T6 R7, Sec 8, NW/4, 160 Acres (Rocky Creek)
:Rocky Creek Area.jpg
Ira Oviatt
Nauvoo : Block 148, Lot 1, part
(Main and Sidney, southwest corner)
They bought two city lots, one near the river and the other near the Temple, and here they made their home. Sometime in 1842 they moved to Nauvoo, living across the street from the home of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Ruth Bennett Oviatt told her grandchildren many times of sitting on her doorstep or in her rocking chair and listening to the Prophet preach to the people in his front yard. When the wooded country was cleared to build houses, a large stump was left in the Prophets front yard and when people came to him to talk with him or for advice he would mount this stump as a group would always gather when he began to talk and sometimes he would speak for hours at a time. His voice was clear and distinct and he could be heard across the street with ease. No matter what their task, they would be ready to stop and listen and would feel his influence as soon as they heard his voice. When Joseph and Hyrum were tarred and feathered by the mob they came to the Oviatt home and obtained clothing to put on before going home. The staunch testimony Ruth and Ira had of the Prophet Joseph Smith from living near him greatly influenced their grandchildren to remain steadfast in their testimony of the Gospel.

Henry Wilcox
Nauvoo : Block 138, Lot 1, Part
(Parley and Granger, southwest corner)
Nauvoo : Block 127, Lot 4, Tenant
(Granger and Parley northwest corner)
Kimball 1st:: Block 6, Lot 25, Tenant
(Warsaw and Parley south of Parley)

James David Wilcox
Kimball 1st: Block 1, Lot 76, 1/3 Acre
(north of Warsaw and Young) actually Warsaw and Hubbard

James was brought to Utah when he was twenty four by two of his
uncles Henry and Daniel Miller who were very active members of
the church. His own mother stayed behind. He also left his father in
law behind in Nauvoo. James Miller died there in 1845

James was a farmer but in his youth he learned to be a glazier. He
also learned to tan hides and could make an excellent buck-skin. He
was a good woodsman and great with an ax.

James was baptized in 1853 after his arrival in the Valley [Utah
Valley]. He was a glazier, farmer, woodsman, plasterer, and molasses
maker--whatever it took to earn a living for his family. He served a
mission to Salmon River Indian Mission in Idaho in 1857-1858. He was
ordained a patriarch in 1901. He was left-handed but he could do
nearly everything with either hand. He made bob- and hand sleds and a
revolving one-horse hayrack.

He married Anna Maria and they raised a big family. He took a scond
wife, a widow with a son. He was much in demand for his ability to do
things. He was a hard worker and served the church and the community
whenever he could, when he wasn't working to support his large family
of 23 children

Noah Guyman
Lived in outlying areas of Nauvoo

Jones Family

Grandson of John Jones
Delbert just died this year, (wife Goldie) died but younger Bro. Bacal and wife Betty still alive.

Delbert has three children:

1.  Oldest Dennis (Holliday in Express) phone: 931 267 2700 Cookville.  Married to Maxine, no children but she has some from previous marriage  Bascal is alsograndson of John Jones.interview

2.  Debbie, DJ, married to Phil no children

3.  Daughter named Diane youngest girl
Married to Herb police officer, one child, Melissa 17 sr this year. Diane lives next door to Delbert’s house.

All mischevious, loved jokes, loved all Delbert. 

Has Delbert’s history and how he met his wife. Also found pic of John Jones and handwritten history of John Jones. 

1.  Dennis Jones
2.  1800’s cemetery Marjorie made a tracing of Abby Livesey marker, John Jones, and John Jones mother came to Tennissee when John Jones was five years old by selves.(philips)

3.  Debbie: Abby Livesey (picture?) headstone, two flat pieces forming a triangle.  Black kitten jumping on headstone, Debbie (DJ) said “ I can’t bring a cat home.” Cat now named Abbie.

4.  Delbert is buried in _______

5.  William Alfred Jones (info scrapbooks.)

6.  Picture of John Jones in a group of men and history

7.  Unknown father of John Jones, Delbert’s ggfather Lucinda Upton first wife, second Abby Livsay, 

8.  “Then and now” a booklet, her father wilson jones, (went to Texas) he was 7 when his parents died, but nobody would take him, so the neighbors took him to cookville and tiedhis clothes up in a bundle and they left him on the steps of the courthouse, and bullies chased him, and he fell in a hole, and they said if he came out they would sell him to inidians in Cumberland .  He loved music, he started singing , people gathered from all around, and a mr gray reached down and lpulled him down, and the grey’s treated him kindly and raised him and they also loved gospel musicmusic as well. 

9 John Jones birth would be important. 

::Snapshot 2010-07-24 13-14-01.tiff::William Alfred Jones Pedigree.jpg

::John Jones Children.jpg

Calvin William BARNES (Lewis Thomas BARNES4, William Hopkins BARNES3, Thomas BARNES SR.2, Dempsey BARNES1) was born 1859 in Putnam County,TN.. He married Mary C. JONES, daughter of John JONES and Abby LIVESAY. She was born 13 May 1859 in Putnam County,TN., and died 28 Feb.1894 in White County,TN.. He married Margaret UNKNOWN. She was born Jan.1872 in Texas.   
Children of Calvin William BARNES and Mary C. JONES are:

Jesse O. ? BARNES was born 1893, and died 1894.

Alexander BARNES was born 1888.

Lettie O. BARNES was born 1891.
Children of Calvin William BARNES and Margaret UNKNOWN are:

Olivia Mabel BARNES was born 1899.

George BARNES was born 1901.

David BARNES was born 1903.

Evalene BARNES was born 1907.

Calvin BARNES was born 1910.

REBECCA married THOMAS LIVESAY on 4 Jan 1814 in ASHE CO., NC. THOMAS was born in 1798 in ASHE CO., NC. He died after 1881 in SMITH, TN.
They had the following children:

GEORGE LIVESAY was born about 1815.
ZACHARIAH LIVESAY was born in 1816.

THOMAS LIVESAY was born in 1820 in ASHE CO., NC.

EDWARD (EDMUND) LIVESAY was born in 1822 in ASHE CO., NC.

LYDIA LIVESAY was born in 1823 in ASHE CO., NC.







ANDREW J LIVESAY was born in 1826 in ASHE CO., NC.

“The Alexander Jones Family”
by Joe Cain

Alex Jones was born January 22, 1850. 

His father was Johnny Jones and his mother was Cindy Upton before she married Johnny.  Lucinda (or Cindy as she was called) was born in Overton County, Tennessee on January 17, 1816 and died November 21, 1855.  Her father was Stephen Upton born November 18, 1788, and died June 9, 1866.  Her mother Catherine (Taylor) Upton was born January 28, 1788 and died January 28, 1846.  Johnny and Cindy had seven children they were:

Nancy Jane – married Wilson West.

Issac – married Becky Mahan

Alexander Jones -

John Decatur - married Margaret Bohannon

James K. Polk – married Martha Bohannon

Jackson – killed in Civil War.

            Alexander tried to enlist in the Confederate forces as a drummer boy when he was 12 years old.  They would not allow him to do so.

Marion – died of typhoid fever during the Civil War.

            After Cindy died in 1855, Johnny Jones married Abby Livesay.

They had 10 children, they were:

Andrew – married Adaline Whiteaker – then Mary Jane Neal.

Wilson – married Emma Hunter


Alford – married Janie Herman

Bluford – married Polly Stamps

Samantha – married Will Barnes

Mary – married Calvin Barnes

Julia – married Richard Copeland

Syrilda – married Jim Stamps

Margaret – Josiah Bowman

Johnny died July 12, 1876.
Alexander first married Lucy Ann Glasgow in Tennessee on January 7, 1875.  She was born July 20, 1856.  Their first child was Mary Lucinda (our Aunt Cindy) born December 25, 1875.  Their second child was Johnny born July 23, 1877 and died when he was four years old in 1881.  Alex’s wife Lucy Ann, died December 9, 1877.  On July 13, 1879 Alex married Lucy Ann’s younger sister Margaret Emily Glasgow who was born August 7, 1861.  Alex and Margaret had 10 children:

Bertha – born July 19, 1880

Beulah – born November 28, 1881, when Beulah was a baby Alex and Margaret moved from Obion County, to Wise County, Texas near Chico.  Alex’s younger brother Wilson also moved to Chico.  They made the trip by covered wagon crossing the Mississippi on a ferry boat.

All of their other children were born near Chico, Texas.

Rosa – born January 25, 1883 and died October 7, 1885

Grover Cleveland Jones – born April 18, 1886

Lizzie Jones – born October 15, 1887

Alford Jones – born March 22, 1889

Zona Jones – born November 10, 1890, died March 19, 1894.

Chares Wilson (Buddy) Jones – born August 16, 1892

Delia Jones – born February 28, 1895

Berta Jones – born February 2, 1897

They were not able to buy and land in the Chico, Texas area.  They were having to rent, and land was poor, so they were having a hard time getting by.

The story of free land in Western Oklahoma reached them and early in 1898 Alex, his son-in-law Lafayette Street, and some other men came to the Beckham County area scouting for land.  They were successful in locating homesteads near what later became the town of Carter.  They went back to Texas, the trip taking about 6 weeks by wagon.  In November 1898, Alex, Lafayette and some of the their neighbors loaded their families in covered wagons and started for Oklahoma.  The weather was very cold and the children sleeping on pallets under the wagons would wake up with frost all over their beds.  They reached their destinations about December 28, 1898.

Alex built a half dugout (just one large room dug into the ground with dirt floor).  Here they lived for several years until he could build a house.

My father A.O. Cain married Beulah Jones (Alex’s daughter) in 1901.  My other grandfather Wesley Can helped Alex build his house.  While they were building the house, Bertha (only 4 or 5 years old) swallowed a nail.  After that grandpa Cain always called her his nail eater.

Going back to 1895 in Texas all executions were by public hanging.  In that year a black man was hung at Decatur, Texas for killing a deputy sheriff.  Alex took his entire family to see this event.  The condemned man asked that a few “church songs” be sang before he was hung.  Volunteers were called for and Alex being a good singer got some other men he knew and they sang several songs for the man.  Then the trap was sprung.  This sight man an awful impression on my mother, Beulah who was 14 years old at this time. 

Life in the dugout was rough but they did stay warm.  The worst problem they had was fleas.  Fleas were particularly in the dirt floor of the half dugout.  Margaret would keep kerosene soaked rags tied around the table legs to keep fleas off of the table.  At night there would be a race among all the small children to make their pallets on the table so they could sleep undisturbed by the fleas.  Elizabeth (Aunt Lizzie) rolled off the table one night.

John Decatur Jones came to Oklahoma shortly after Alex and Margaret did.  John had been busy making moonshine whiskey in Tennessee and the revenuers caught up with him.  He had to leave Tennessee pretty fast to get away from them.  Alfred Barnes, Samantha and Mary’s brother-in-law also left Tennessee with a posse shooting at him.  Someone asked him in later years how he managed to escape.  He replied, “I ran on the Bias” meaning zig-zagging.  Alex’s first daughter Lucinda (who died June 5, 1974) married Lafayette Street in Chico Texas on October 25, 1895.  Their first daughter Lucy was born in Texas January 21, 1897.  The other children were all married in Oklahoma.  Lucinda and Lafayette had another daughter Clara (Porter) and three sons Claud (deceased), Averill and Earl after they moved to the Carter, Oklahoma area.  All of the children lived in the Carter area except Alford.  He and his wife Mittie moved back to Electra, Texas where he worked in the oil fields after farming a few years.

Bertha (died in 1948)  married Sam Simpson.  They farmed south east of Carter.  Sam’s brother Oscar Simpson started the first school in the area.  Bertha and Sam had three daughters and three sons.  Two of the girls Lucille and Ruby are deceased.  Sammy Lee, the other daughter and Cecil, Melvin and Billy are all living.

Beulah (died in 1968) married A.O. Cain in 1901.  Their first children were twins Clarence and Clinton both deceased.   They had a daughter Leona Fowler of Irving, Texas and two sons Joe and Alton who both live in the Carter area.

Grover Cleveland (Cleve) (died 1950) married Effie Gaswick (died 1979).  They had one son G.C. Jr. who died in 1985.  Lizzie Jones married J.D. Carter who died in 1972.  Aunt Lizzie celebrates her 99th birthday October 15, 1986.  She is still keeping house and enjoying life to the fullest.  She had three children, Elmer (deceased), Betty Joe and Milton. 

Alford married Mittie Cornelius, their children were Keetah, Buve, Donchin and Joy all deceased and living are Oleta, Jack, Bill and another daughter Bobby. 

Charles Wilson (Buddy) (died 1979) married to Cordelia Rogers (deceased) had a son C.W. Jr. who died when he was three years old.  They have two daughters Cuba Lee and Charlene.  Delia Jones (died 1984) married to Bill Carter (died 1955) had a son Oren that died while a baby and a son in Wichita Falls, Texas, Alvie known as Tutor.  Berta Jones the youngest married Ralph Van Buren, a marine in World War I.  Their oldest son is Jodie Lee of Harrah, Oklahoma.  One son Harley died when about 6 or 7 years old.  Their daughter Joyce (Wayne) lives in Elk City, Oklahoma.  Berta makes her home in Carter.

After Alex and Margaret moved into the half dugout on their homestead, they had to live there several years before they were able to build a house.  During this time the whole family had smallpox.  A neighbor, Homer Bunton found out they were all sick.  He would come by the cellar getting close enough to make himself heard.  He would ask what they needed (groceries, etc) and then go to the store over at Poarch (which was five miles east and one mile south of the present town of Carter) and get what they needed and take it to them.  Luckily they all recovered with no bad after effects.

In 1912 Alex and Margaret, their daughter Berta and son Alford and Alford’s wife Mittie moved to near Camp Verde, Arizona where Alex bought the “Bullpen”.  The Bullpen was an 18 acre fruit orchard.  They raised apricots, peaches, pears, plums and apples which they sold commercially.  Alex had bought the orchard from his brother Issac’s two sons Elmer and Arthur.  After operating the orchard for three years he sold it back to the same two men and moved back to Oklahoma.  After Margaret died on February 21, 1921, Alex made his home with Elizabeth (Aunt Lizzie) and J.D. Carter.  He made frequent trips back down into Texas to visit relatives and to buy honey.  He bought honey down in South Texas and shipped it back to Oklahoma.  He would then peddle it all over the country.  I can still remember him coming to our house when I was a small boy with the back of his buggy filled with gallons of honey.  He died March 9, 1936

After Margaret died, Buddy and Cleve both had houses where they lived on Alex’s land which they farmed for several years until the farm was sold to Lee White.

The descendants of Alex’s father Johnny still have a Johnny Jones family reunion the second Sunday of August in the Community Center in Allgood, Tennessee.

Alexander and Margaret, his brother John, their daughter Lucinda, Bertha, Beulah and Delia together with their husbands and Cleve and his wife and Lizzie’s husband J.D. Carter are all buried in Poarch Cemetery 14 miles south of Elk City, Oklahoma.  Buddy and his wife are buried in Carter Cemetery.

April's mom side of the family (Nivens and Garretts) are from Overton County, Tennessee.  The Garrett family have their own cemetary located in Allons, TN dating back two centuries.   The 1850 Census Records shows John "Johnny" Jones residing there with his family and another Jones named Polly along with her family and another family living with them with the last names of Woody.  Also, Lucinda, Johnny's wife was born in Overton County and together many of their kids lived and married in Overton County.

:Stuff:Snapshot 2010-07-21 16-27-18.tiff:Stuff:Snapshot 2010-07-15 16-08-10.tiff
:Stuff:Nashville to LA.jpg:Stuff:Flight Info.jpg
John Phillips and Telitha Faulkner Jones Grav

  • Stamps Grave marker.jpg
      • Sarilda Jones
      • Birth
        • 15 Sep 1938

Marjorie Reddington
W 286 S 4785
Woods Road
      Waukeshu WI 53188

Ron and Sandy Blunck
3921 Ben Franklin Dr.
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494-3488
Middle of state