Sunday, January 12, 2014

Irene Clarkson Thomsen 1902 - 1990

Irene Clarkson Thomsen, 87, of Glendale, California, formerly of Holladay, died on February 20, 1990 in Glendale.  Born April 23, 1902 in Trout Creek, Utah to Charles and Alvira Stout Clarkson.

She married Clyde R. Thomsen on April 15, 1925 in Evanston, Wyoming; later solemnized in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. He died on September 10, 1959 which was just five years after her own father Charles Robert Clarkson passed away. She was to live another 31 years after Clyde died.

She spent her early years in Holladay, lived in the Pacific Northwest and for the past 50 years in Southern California. Active member LDS Church. She was the last living sibling of her family.

She is survived by son, Blaine Thomsen, Salt Lake City; three daughters, Carol Gardiner, Glendale, California; Gayle Blackmer, Pico Rivera, California; Jeanne Hanks, Palos Verdes, California; 30 grandchildren.

Graveside Services will be held at 12 noon on Monday, February 26, 1990 at MacKay Holladay Memorial Park, 4900 South Memory Lane (2000 East).

Published in the Deseret News on 2/25/1990.
24 February 1990 Holladay, Salt Lake, Utah, United States

Trout Creek is a small farming community, located along the Pony Express/Overland route in northern Snake Valley, north of Partoun, Utah and south of Callao, Utah. It is named after the creek that flows from the west off of the Deep Creek Mountains.[3] It has one of the most remote Mormon chapels in Utah, with a short section of paved road, the only paved road for over 50 miles. It is located at 39.68550N 113.82729W, at an elevation of 6,675 feet (2,035 meters). The Zip Code is 84083.


Salt lake Tribune May 20, 1917

Salt Lake Telegram Feb 24, 1924

Salt lake Telegram December 26, 1925

Salt lake Telegram May 17, 1927




Irene, baby Carol and Clyde, 1926




Charles Robert Clarkson with his daughters - Left to Right: Irene Clarkson (Thompson), 

Alvira Clarkson (Parker) (White), Mary Clarkson (Parker), Charles Robert Clarkson, 

Verna Clarkson (Johnson), Myrtle Clarkson (Sewell), Ruth Clarkson (Melby) - 1942

1940 census:

1957, two years before Clyde passed away.Burial:

1984 Irene from Kent on Vimeo.
This video is about 1984 Irene

Holladay Memorial Park
Salt Lake County
Utah, USA



Carol's Heritage from Kent Gardiner on Vimeo.

Hosea Stout (September 18, 1810 – March 2, 1889) was a leader in the Latter Day Saint movement, a Mormon pioneer, and a lawyer and politician in Utah Territory.
Stout was born in Pleasant Hill, Kentucky into the large family of Joseph Stout and Ann Smith, both strict Quakers. As a child, Stout was temporarily put in a Shaker school due to his family's financial hardships. However, after four years in the school, his father's circumstances improved and removed him from the school.

In 1832, Stout enlisted with a group of rangers to fight in the Black Hawk War. During this time, he became acquainted with Mormonism and was taught by later apostle Charles C. Rich. In 1837 he sold his business and move to Caldwell County, Missouri where the Latter-day Saints had gathered after their expulsion from Jackson County, Missouri and Kirtland, Ohio. Here he married Samantha Peck. Shortly after this he was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
During the Mormon War of 1838, Stout was a member of the Danites, a Mormon militia, and fought in the Battle of Crooked River. After the Latter Day Saints were forced to leave Missouri and moved to Nauvoo, Illinois, Stout served as a bodyguard for Joseph Smith, Jr. During this period he was also a commander in the Nauvoo Legion and the Chief of Police of Nauvoo. He was further set apart as President of the eleventh Quorum of Seventies and made a member of the Council of Fifty, an organization created by Joseph Smith in preparation for the Second Coming of Christ.

Shortly after the murder of Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum in 1844 at the hands of a unit of the Illinois State Militia, their brother Samuel H. Smith also died under allegedly suspicious circumstances. Samuel Smith's daughter and William Smith, who was the only surviving Smith brother, later claimed that Stout had poisoned Samuel under orders from Brigham Young and Willard Richards, members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.[1][2][3] However, Stout was never tried for this alleged crime and Smith's claims are disputed.[4]

After the Mormons were forced to leave Nauvoo in 1846, Stout served as the chief of police in Winter Quarters, Nebraska when the Latter Day Saints migrated there.[5] An early Mormon pioneer, Stout arrived in the Salt Lake Valley as a member Heber C. Kimball's company in September 1848.

In Utah, Stout started a long career in both law and politics. He was elected to the Utah Territory's House of Representatives in 1849 and was a part of the delegation to create a constitution for the proposed State of Deseret. Stout served as the first Attorney General of Utah Territory, and in 1851, he was one of the first lawyers admitted to the bar of Utah. From 1856 to 1857, he served as the speaker of the House.[5] Later, he was chairman of the code commissioners, a territorial prosecutor, and U.S. Attorney.
In 1852 Stout was called on the first Mormon mission to China along with three other individuals: Chapman Duncan, James Lewis, and Walter Thompson. However, these missionaries did not meet with much success and soon returned home.

In November 1856, Stout helped rescue a snowbound handcart company caught in Wyoming. During the Utah War of 1857-1858, Stout helped build and maintain fortifications in Echo Canyon meant to deter federal forces from entering Utah Territory. In later years, "Wild Bill" Hickman admitted to murdering one Richard Yates during this period at the mouth of Echo Canyon. In a deal for immunity from prosecution, Hickman implicated Stout and other Mormon leaders in the murder. Stout was arrested for the crime in 1871 and was incarcerated for six months at Fort Douglas before being released and acquitted.[6] In 1877, he retired from public life due to poor health and died 11 years later near Salt Lake City.
One of Stout's greatest contributions was as a diarist. The "Diary of Hosea Stout" has become an invaluable resource for historians of the Latter-day Saints in the nineteenth-century.

Hosea Stout, born 18 September 1810, at Danville, Mercer, Kentucky. He was the son of Joseph Stout and Anna Smith. Hosea was closely associated with the Prophet Joseph Smith in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois. He was one of four men called on the first L.D.S. Mission to China. He arrived 27 April 1853. Hosea Stout married (1) 7 January 1838, Samantha Peck. Married (3) 20 Apr 1845, Lucretia Fisher, at Sauvoc, Hancock, Illinois. Married (4) 30 June 1845, Marinda Bennett, at Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois. Married (5) 9 January 1854, Aseneth Harmon (Gheen), widow of the late William Gheen, at Salt Lake City. (Divorced in a few months.) Married (6) 19 July 1855, Alvira Wilson, at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Married (7) Sarah Cox (Jones), widow of David Hadlock Jones. Hosea served in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He was named to be the first City Attorney in St. George, Washington, Utah, and was also made an Attorney for the United States in 1862, signed by President Abraham Lincoln. He died 2 March 1889, at Holladay, Salt Lake, Utah.

Hosea Stout was one of the most prolific, down-to-earth, and insightful of the early Mormon diarists. He also composed short autobiographical pieces which related the story of his life prior to 1844 when he began his diaries, and he then wrote in the diaries continuously until 1870.

Stout was born 18 September 1810 at Pleasant Hill, Mercer County, Kentucky, to Joseph and Anna Smith Stout, who had been married in 1797 and subsequently had a very large family. When they experienced financial setbacks, the children were temporarily put in Shaker schools. Hosea remained in such a school from 1814 to 1818, at which time his father came to reclaim him. In the years following, the family moved to Ohio, and from this time on Hosea was let out to other families to work. In September 1828 some of Hosea's family moved to Stout's Grove, Indiana, which was named after an uncle. In 1830 Hosea began to feel a need for religion, and became interested in the Methodists, as well as becoming involved in the temperance movement for a short time. In 1832, moving to Pekin, Illinois, Hosea enlisted as a ranger in the Black Hawk War, fulfilling a military inclination which lasted most of his life.

It was at this time that Hosea was exposed to Mormonism at Farm Creek, Illinois, and was proselyted by C.C. Rich, who later became an apostle. Hosea wrote, "I could not forego the idea of joining the church for aside from the disgrace which would follow I was fearful least I should not live up to its precepts. . . . I wanted confidence in myself." Hosea retained an association with Mormonism until August 1837, when he sold his business interest to move to Caldwell County, Missouri, "for the purpose of being gathered with and associating with the Latter-day Saints." There he became acquainted with Samantha Pack, and married her on 7 January 1838. On 26 August of that year Stout was baptized by Charles C. Rich. This was during the height of the Mormon persecutions, and on 26 October Hosea was asked to go with the company of David Patten to engage a mob under Samuel Bogart. The engagement was known as the Battle of Crooked River, and on 31 October twenty-seven Mormon militiamen made their escape to Iowa, where Hosea's wife joined him ten months later. Samantha Stout died from exposure there on 29 November 1839. And a year later, on 29 November 1840, Hosea remarried, this time to Louisa Taylor, who was to die in childbirth in 1852. In 1841 Louisa gave birth to a daughter, Lydia Sarah, who was first of Hosea's nineteen children.
By this time, Stout had joined the main body of the church in Nauvoo. There he became active in civil and religious affairs. In February 1841 he was elected captain of one of the companies of the Nauvoo Legion, and was promoted to brigadier general in 1845 as hostilities with the surrounding communities escalated. He later helped to write a history of the Legion. Ecclesiastically, Hosea had been set apart as president of the eleventh Quorum of Seventies in October 1844.

Hosea Stout left Nauvoo with his family on 9 February 1846. Prior to that, he had entered into polygamy, marrying Lucretia Fisher, who deserted him one year later, and also Marinda Bennett, who died in childbirth in 1846. Brigham Young asked Stout to help set up and be in charge of a guard of the companies leaving Nauvoo, and he retained this responsibility through the period of 1846-47 at Winter Quarters.
In organizing for the journey west in 1847, Stout was asked to travel with the company in April and then with the one in June, but for various reasons did not. One month after the first company left, Hosea was put in charge of ten rangers to guard the grazing livestock of those left at camp. And on 8 October he was asked to accompany a group west to meet the returning pioneer company.

In May 1848 Hosea and his family left Winter Quarters, and they arrived in Great Salt Lake City on 23 September 1848. Stout built a house in the northeast section of the city and quickly was chosen or elected to several political and legal positions. In 1849 he was a member of the House of Representatives; in 1850 he was attorney general, and in 1851 he was admitted to the bar as one of the first practicing attorneys in the territory. He also served as States Attorney, in which position he took the laws passed by the assembly, clarified them, and prepared them for printing.

In 1853 Hosea was called on the first mission to China. He was gone from Utah a little more than a year, but stayed in the Far East only two months, because, in his words, "we find that no one will give heed to what we say, neither does anyone manifest any opposition or interest but treats us with the utmost civility, conversing freely on all subjects except the pure principles of the gospel."
After returning, Hosea married Alvira Wilson, with whom he had eleven children. He continued to work in politics and law. He was Speaker of the House of Representatives in 1856; chairman of code commissioners, codifying national laws applicable to Utah; state prosecutor; and U.S. Attorney. For the church, he collected debts owed to the Perpetual Emigrating Fund; went to the rescue of a snowbound handcart company in November 1856; and worked at preparing defenses in Echo Canyon against the incoming U.S. Army in 1857.

In 1861 Hosea and his family were called to the Cotton Mission, where he lived for four years. He then moved back to Salt Lake City and resumed the legal profession. Stout was arrested in 1871 on a trumped-up charge of the murder of Richard Yates during the Utah War, and was confined for six months at Camp Douglas. He was later released and acquitted.

Stout basically retired from public life in 1877 due to ill health, moving to Holladay with his wife, Sarah Jones, whom he had married in 1868. He remained there until his death on 2 March 1889.

At the LDS general conference in 1858, Hosea had forthrightly (as usual) expressed his views on religion: "I always feel that it is my duty to look to myself, for I am in as much danger of apostatizing as any in the Church. If I ever do get led astray and depart from the principles of the gospel of salvation, it will be because I led myself off from the path; it was not my brethren who led me away, it was my own doing." He always remained faithful.

See: Juanita Brooks, ed., On the Mormon Frontier (1982); Utah Historical Quarterly 30 (Winter 1962); and Wayne Stout, Hosea Stout, Utah's Pioneer Statesman (1953).