Friday, September 24, 2010

Catherine Melissa Hulet (Dalley) 1860 - 1956


May 18, 1860
Utah County
Utah, USA
Death: Nov. 28, 1956
Sevier County
Utah, USA

Daughter of Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet and Catherine Stoker.  Sister to Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet Jr.

Married James Hillman Dalley, 8 Nov 1877, St. George, Washington, Utah

Children - Erma Lenora Dalley, Laverna Dalley, Effie Catherine Dalley, Ethel Mandana Dalley, James Franklin Dalley, Marion Dalley, Josephine Dalley, Melvin Dalley, Eva Estella Dalley, Luella Melissa Dalley, Ida Marilla Dalley, Mamie Tryphena Dalley, William Sylvanus Dalley, Katie Dalley

Catherine and her husband James drove from Summit, Iron County to the St. George Temple by team and buggy to be married.

Their parents had joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints soon after its organization in 1830. William and Mandanna Hillman Dalley were present when the mantel of the Prophet fell upon the new Prophet Brigham Young.

Catherine's grandfather Charles Hulet and his brother Sylvester Hulet had journeyed to nearby Kirtland, Ohio from Nelson, Ohio on business. While there, they heard Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt and Ziba Peterson preaching Mormonism. They purchased a Book of Mormon, absorbed its contents and were baptized. Soon afterward, the rest of the Hulet family joined the Church and went with them to Missouri, Illinois and on to the Rocky Mountains.

The Hulet's eventually settled in Springville and the Dalley's settled in American Fork by assignment from their Prophet Brigham Young.

When Catherine was only one year's old, her parents were called with a company consisting of 300 families to settle the Dixie country, known as the Cotton Mission. This made her parents very unhappy. They had been greatly blessed and propered since their arrival in Springville. Now to leave it all and once more go to an unknown country to start all over again, was most trying to their already tortured souls, remembering the hardships since joining the Church. Their trek of hardships and privation which they endured was not easily forgotten. Yet their faith was strong; therefore they accepted the call made by Brigham Young, and began at once making preparations for whatever may lie ahead.

Family legend has it that grandfather Sylvanus Hulet had spent the night lying in bed, debating whether to except the call. The next morning he arose from his bed and harnessed the team, hitched them to the wagon and headed for Camp Floyd, which he located a few miles south of Cedar Fort. The next day, he came home pulling another wagon, which he had purchased from the army at Camp Floyd.

He drove the wagons near the house and began loading the furniture on the wagons without even saying a word. The journey to Dixie was long, taking one month to reach their destination. The road was very rough and hazards were many. Many of the children walked alongside the wagon while some of the older ones helped to drive their cattle.

James Hillman Dalley and his parents William and Mandanna also found themselves in Southern Utah and eventually lived in Summit. Catherine and her parents lived in St. George until 1872 when they moved to Summit. That is where she and James Dalley met and were married and lived there for a few years.

Catherine and James both grew up in a wholesome pioneer atmosphere, experiencing the hardships, labor, love and joy of pioneer life. Their parents taught them well the fundamentals of making a home. They were well prepared for married life when that time arrived.

Catherine had large brown eyes and light brown hair. She was of average height and build. She had a charming disposition. She, like her sisters Sarah and Barbara liked lovely clothes. Their parents saw to it that they had the best materials available from which to make them.

When the Hulet family moved to Summit in 1872, which was some 60 miles north of St. George, the settlers were still having trouble with the Indians and Catherine spoke her fear of them so they had to go to a spring to obtain water.

James Dalley was not what you would call a tall man, but he made up for it as he performed his labors ans a a son of God, and as a husband and father. He was noted for his skill at handling livestock and farming. At one time, he built a canal and brought water from one canyon, around the ridge and into another valley where the land could be farmed. He was a very dedicated man and never faltered throughout his life.

After James and Melissa were married, they spent time in Summit where their parents farmed. Sometime between 1889 and 1891 they moved to Circleville, Piute, UT. While they lived there they leased some land from the Betenson's.

While living in Summit, they were blessed with 8 children as follows: Luella Melissa, 1878; Mamie Tryphena, 1879; James Franklin, 1881; Josephine, 1883; Ida Marilla, 1884; William Sylvanus, 1886; and the twins Effie Catherine and Ethel Mandanna, 1889.

While they lived in Circleville, 6 more children were born; Eva Estalla, 1891; Laverna 1894; Melvin, 1896; Katie, 1898; Erma Lenora, 1899; and Marion, 1902. Both Katie and Melvin died while still small children. Catherine said that the night before Katie died, she stayed up all night, but Catherine knew Katie was dying and she wanted to hold her as long as she could. When Melvin died she said she felt so bad that she couldn't afford some new clothes for his burial. She had to bury him in one of the girl's dresses.

After farming in Circleville for a few years, they moved the family to Greenville, Beaver, UT. They stayed there for a couple of years where James hauled freight from Beaver to Milford and Frisco.

During the time they lived there, their daughter Josephine met and married James Thompson. Later on, another daughter married William Theodore Thompson, a brother of James, and of course, Laverna is a sister of Josephine.

When they left Greenville, they moved to a ranch north of Panguitch in Garfield County. This was a settlement called Spry. There they engaged in farming, raising milk cows and goats. Because of the illness of their oldest daughter Luella, it became neccessary to make a home for their 3 little granddaughters: Sylvia, Hazel and Hettie. Ethel also came home to live after the death of her husband. She brought her little daughter Stella with her.

After their family was raised, James and Catherine lived for a short time in Milford. During that time, James purchased a small farm east of Milford and brought some of his Holstein heifers with him from Spry. His son in-law furnished him with a little mare to ride. James was allergic to something in Milford Valley--it was probably some type of ragweed. They eventually had to move back to Circleville.

During the time they lived in Milford, their youngest son Marion lived with them. He had been suffering from infantile paralysis for several years.

In August 1937, while living in Circleville, their son Marion passed away in Salt Lake City while receiving treatment. While traveling to Marysvale to the railroad to pick up his body, the family had a very serious automobile accident. James died seven months later as a result of the injuries received in the accident.

In those days when James died, they couldn't afford to have his body embalmed. It was during the Great Depression of the thirties, and nobody had very much money. 3 of James grandsons volunteered to take care of his body. It was a new experience for them but they loved their dear grandfather, and it really was the least they could do for him. They bathed him, shaved him and cut his hair, then they kept bottles of ice around his body until time for the funeral. Other members of the family went to the Sevier River and brought tubs of ice for them to fill the bottles. It's an experience that they will never forget.

After the funeral, Catherine purchased a home in Joseph, Utah where she resided until her death. She lived next door to her daughter Ethel and her son William Sylvanus "Vene" lived with her. Thus ended the lives of 2 very wonderful people. Neither of them ever really enjoyed the luxury of the modern conveniences that we have today, but they survived with what they did have. James and Melissa enjoyed the simple things of life. They loved going to a movie. They loved desserts such as cake, pie and ice cream. They loved their children, and above all--life itself. They accepted their lot and never complained.

Family links:
  Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet (1826 - 1901)
  Catherine Stoker Hulet (1829 - 1882)

  James Franklin Dalley (1881 - 1944)*
  Erma Lenora Dalley Barney (1900 - 1967)*

  James Hillman Dalley (1855 - 1938)

*Point here for explanation
Circleville Cemetery
Piute County
Utah, USA
Plot: D_1_127