Sunday, January 17, 2010

Kjersten Jensdatter 1819 - 1899

“The family left their home to begin their emigration to Zion.  They went to Copenhagen, then to Hamburg, Germany, where on May 25, 1855 the ship Kenilworth lifted anchor in the River Elbe and commenced its long voyage across the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean, with Jens and Kjersten Frandsen, and their children Johanne Marie, Frants Peter, and Jens Christian among the 684 souls on board.  Their oldest child, Mette, had married Soren Sorensen on October 13, 1856 and apparently remained in DenmarkThe trip was made with favorable winds for about three weeks, but there were continuous headwinds and fog for the next five weeks, which made the voyage both long and dreary. 

The ship’s crew treated the passengers in a kind and generous way, allowing them all the privileges that could reasonably beexpected.  The provisions were satisfactory and the sick received good attention, though eleven or twelve persons died during the voyage.  The ship anchored off Staten Island on the evening of July 16, and the following day, an exceedingly hot day, the immigrants disembarked at Castle Garden, New York. 

 The Mormon immigrants next traveled on a large freight steamer to New Haven, Connecticut, then by train through New England, in to Canada, through Michigan, Illinois, and Missouri.  They arrived in St. Joseph, Missouri on July 27th.  From here they took a steamboat up the Missouri River and two days later reached Wyoming, Nebraska where teams and wagons sent by the church were waiting for their arrival.  Jens Frandsen’s family joined the ox train of Captain Joseph S. Rawlings which left Wyoming on August 2, 1866 and arrived in Salt Lake City on October 1st.”  Kristine Halls Smith, (granddaughter)

 “Grandmother had remarked when she married him, that she hoped the Lord would forgive her for marrying such a handsome man. He was a man of some education and of very gracious manner. It is my impression that before joining the church he gambled, drank, and used coffee. Mother has described how elegant he looked smoking his long-stemmed pipe. He quit all these habits.” Johannah S. Halls Smith, (granddaughter) “She died January 27, 1899, six years after her husband, in Mancos, Montezuma County, CO in the Old Mormon Cemetery, Row 3 lot 28.”