Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sylvester Hulet by Adelia Sidwell and Euphrasia Cox Day

By Adelia B. Sidwell & Euphrasia Cox Day

He was born 2 March 1800 in Lee, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, then immigrated to Ohio about 1820, and settled in Nelson, Portage County, one county south of Kirtland. He went on business in the vicinity of Kirtland and heard Oliver Cowdery, Parley P. Pratt and Ziba Peterson preach the principles of Mormonism. In 1830 he bought a copy of the Book of Mormon, absorbed its contents, was baptized and returned home to Nelson, Ohio. He presented the book to his relatives, who soon became converts… but he did not tell them of his baptism.

When his sister Rhoda's husband, Robert Mills died, he took charge of her and her two children and cared for them as a provider and kind relative until the children were mature, long after their mother's death. He also practically raised his brother Francis' motherless boy, Schuyler.

About 1832 he went to Missouri, and settled in Jackson County at Far West. Only one of his brothers, Francis, was in Jackson County with the Latter-day Saints… and he not long.

(Between Jackson County and Far West comes the story of his rowing a boatload of refugees across the river.) (Hulet settlement. See Church History)

He became acquainted with Orville S. Cox who was a roaming young man and who had heard many evil reports of Mormons. He asked Hulet if he had heard them. He answered, "Yes." He then asked, "What kind of people are the Mormons?" His reply was, "Come to Far West and see." He never told Cox that he was a Mormon.

Nearing the town Cox said he'd like to see the barricades the Mormons had built in defiance of the law. Hulet said, "There they are", pointing to a pile of logs and three wagons loaded with lumber standing end to end. He said, "Well if that's all it takes to make big stories about the Mormons, I guess they aren't so bad." Hulet took Cox to his home where his niece, Elvira Mills was housekeeper. From the first, Orville and Elvira cared for each other, but she did not want to marry outside the Church and he did not want to join any religion to get a girl... So they waited until Missouri drove the Mormons out and they all decided to settle in Lima, Illinois. October 3, 1839 they were married and October 6, Orville S. Cox was baptized by Joseph Smith.

When Christian Whitmer died in Far West, Sylvester Hulet married his wife, Anna. In 1846 she went East to visit her people and never did join her husband in the west. He went to Pisgah in 1846 and in July he joined the Mormon Battalion...(Second Lieutenant in Company D) was mustered into service at Council Bluffs, Iowa Territory with Colonel Allen commanding officer. They marched to Fort Leavenworth where they received their arms and equipment August 1, 1846, a full-fledged son of Uncle Sam.

October 9 Battalion reached Santa Fe, New Mexico where Colonel Philip St. George Cook assumed command. The hostile Mexicans refused to sell them supplies. October 19, 1846, left Santa Fe for California. They suffered much from excessive marches and short rations.

December 11, 1846, on the San Pedro River the Battalion had an extraordinary encounter with a herd of wild Mexican bulls that were startled while feeding in a luxuriant growth of tall cane and river grass, which was from four to six feet high. Amos Cox was caught on the horns of one bull and tossed over a covered wagon. It was estimated that he was thrown at least 14 feet high. The horn caught him in the groin and tore a 7-inch long cut in the flesh. Feeling that the company doctor hated the Mormons and gave them drugs to injure and not to heal, Amos requested that the knowledge of his injury be kept among his friends. Accordingly, Sylvester sewed the wound up, and he and other Elders administered to Cox. Also Hulet let Cox ride his horse, Hulet being a lieutenant. A scout rode a horse most of the time. In less than 7 days the wound was healed and Cox marched in the ranks thereafter.

December 18, 1846, the Mormon Battalion left Tucson, Arizona and suffered almost beyond human endurance from over-marching and lack of water and food. December 22, 1846, they arrived in Pima village and camped the following day by the Maricopa Indians. January 8th 1847, they reached the mouth of the Gila River. January 10th they crossed the Colorado, the "boys" drawing the wagons across and up the perpendicular banks with lariats. January 17, 1847, they arrived in San Luis Rey, California, a deserted Catholic Mission and from a neighboring bluff saw for the first time the Pacific Ocean.

January 29 they arrived at San Diego, California, where they rested.

April 1st, 1847, the Mormon Battalion was ordered to erect a fort on a hill near Los Angeles. When General Kearney arrived in California, he found Colonel John C. Fremont already there at the head of as brave a company of hunters, trappers, exiles, Indian traders and western explorers as was ever welded together by patriotism in one conglomerate mass for the benefit and protection of their country… All animated by intense patriotism, these noble brave fellows elected and proclaimed their beloved Fremont the first Governor of California.

Kearny was angry and there the trouble began. Kearny was the ranking officer and demanded the governorship for himself…his right as general. Fremont held only a Colonels commission, but his undaunted men declared him a General and all addressed him as such (and later the government commissioned him a General). Before this, however, Kearny arrested the Great Pathfinder and took him as a prisoner to Washington, D.C. for usurpation.

Horses to ride and pack mules were secured at Bidwell, California. Wanting a guard to escort his illustrious prisoner, he ordered the captains of the Mormon Battalion to select from each company two of their best all-around men, men who could ride the longest, do without sleep the longest, fast the longest, live on short rations the longest, load pack mules the most expeditiously, do double guard duty the best which meant do with half sleep enough. The chosen guards were Sylvester Hulet, Lieutenant of Company D, and Amos Cox of Company D. They were selected by Captain Higgins for his best men. Some of the others were Lieutenant Stoneman, Seargent N. V. Jones, Durgley, John Binley.

Once Matthew Caldwell broke a cinch and was delayed. Amos Cox went back a few rods to see why he was behind, and he discovered Indians crawling up toward him. Amos helped Caldwell and they both made it back safely.

May 31st, 1847, this detachment with Fremont left for the East, constantly making forced marches 45, sometimes 60 miles a day. They crossed the Sierra Nevada Mountains and the State of Nevada, rested at Fort Hall near Pocatello, Idaho in July, and procured fresh horses and pack mules. Fremont had his freedom and was armed in case of Indian attack.

July 16 and 17 Soda Springs and Bear River was reached. Continuing their journey eastward they met several companies of Mormon Pioneers, including the company of C. C. Rich, in which traveled Orville S. Cox and his family, somewhere on the Platte River, near Sweetwater.

Here Amos heard the first news of his family in over a year. One sad item was that a little daughter had died. He went on with Fremont and received his honorable discharge at Fort Leavenworth, from where he hastened to his family in Iowa.

He remained near Shenandoah, Iowa, a number of years. He planted a tree on his 40-acre farm the day Abraham Lincoln was killed. That farm is now owned by Henry Field, Seedsman and he treasures the memorial tree.

Sylvester Hulet, by request, received his honorable discharge when he met C. C. Riches Company and turned his face once more westward in company of 0. S. and Elvira Cox.

They arrived in Salt Lake City October 3, 1847, where he assisted in building the old adobe Fort on Pioneer Square and made himself generally useful, where they all wintered.

In the spring of 1848 he went with a company and assisted in founding Bountiful.

In the spring of 1849 he responded to a call from President Brigham Young to found a settlement on the Provo River. There they built a fort of cottonwood logs, and in the fall of 1849, when Father Morley's company to settle Manti passed through Provo, he joined them and settled in Manti.

In 1850 or 51 he went to California and washed gold.

In 1854 or 55 he honored a call of Brigham to help build a fort at Las Vegas, now in Nevada. Another call in 1856 and 1857 from President Young sent him to Las Vegas where he found lead in native condition and melted out great quantities for Mormons to use in defense of their homes against the invasion of Johnston's Army.

In Massachusetts, Rhoda asked her father how much Indian blood was in him. "Not one drop!” he answered. It was her mother, Mary Lewis, who was part Indian.

Sylvester was the brother who had Indian traits most developed: straight black hair, black eyes, high cheekbones, feet that 'toed' in a trifle, splendid scout, cat-like movements.

He finally settled in Manti and remained for about 4.0 years. His very last days were spent in Fairview with Elvira for hits nurse. He sleeps in the Fairview Cemetery beside Orville S. and Elvira Cox.
From Round Robin written by Aunt Phena in Jerome, Idaho, 31 Mar 1945: (Tryphena Cox Sidwell)

July 1897 the LDS Church had a Jubilee at Salt Lake City. All pioneers were asked to send relics there to be labeled for that great event. Mother's (Elvira P Mills Cox) Uncle Sylvester Hulet had a turning lathe, saws and other woodworking tools with which he made wooden bread bowls, butter bowls, horn combs, spinning wheels (except the heads), quill wheels, swifts, looms (except the reeds), shuttles and many other things the pioneer needed.

Sylvester's gravestone in Fairview Cemetery gives 7 November as death date. It appears that the 17 Nov date is in error.

Father: Sylvanus Hulet, b. 7 Nov 1758 in Killingly, Windham, Connecticut
Mother: Mary "Polly" Lewis, b. 3 Apr 1763 in Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts

Family 1:

Anna Schott, b. 30 Mar 1801 in Waterloo, Seneca, New York, USA
Divorced: Y About 1847
Married: Aft 1835 in Clay, Missouri, USA
O Notes:

Anna refused to go west with Brigham Young, and Sylvester was determined to go, so they divorced. 19 Jan 1953 3 Aug 2008

From the Book Over the Rim by William B Smart

Page 222 Sylvester Hewlitt or Hulet, Fifth Ten

Sylvester Hewlitt was one of the five men who had established the tiny settlement of Manti and just two weeks later joined the Parley PP. Pratt exploration. With his team and wagon he remained in Parowan Valley while Pratt and others explored south to the Virgin River on horseback. The Journal History reported that Hewlitt and William Wadsworth on December 20 “went up into the mountains and found very rich iron ore in abundance, and also waterlime and gypsum. The mountains appeared rich with minerals.” He also remained with the snowbound wagons at Fillmore, then after an exhausting struggle through the snow to the Sevier River, left the expedition to return home to Sanpete Valley. He reached there in early March 1850 and on May 7 that year, left o a mission to the Hawaiian Islands.
A Sylvester Hulet, who may be the same man, was born in 1800, in Berkshire, Main. H………

Black Members, International Genealogical Index, Journal History, dates indicated.

Mormon Battalion, at Los Angeles, California:
Lt. Sylvester Hulet submitted his resignation of his commission so he could return to his family. [It appears that the resignation was not accepted because Hulet would later be chosen to help escort General Kearny to take John C. Fremont back to Fort Leavenworth for court martial.] Nevertheless, Henry Standage commented, "Our Commanders are softening their hearts very fast, more willing to listen to our petition [to be discharged.]

HULET, Anna (WHITMER) SCHOTT Spouse: Sylvester HULET
b. bet 1800 and 1802 Of Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts
d. 1866 Fayette, Seneca, New York

Sylvester HULET (1800-?), brother of Charles and a native of Massachusetts, joined the Church in 1831 and removed to Jackson County, Missouri. In Clay County he married Anne Schott Whitmer, widow of Christian Whitmer, shortly after Whitmer's death. He moved to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847.

# Name: Sylvester HULET
# Given Name: Sylvester
# Surname: HULET
# Suffix: , U.S. Mormon Battalion
# Sex: M
# _UID: 8519D6C3F4B42346BF8E8BE77E18F623B650
# Change Date: 24 Feb 2007
# Note:

An Enduring Legacy, Volume Two, p.100
Elvira Pamela Mills was born March 2, 1820, in Nelson, Portage County, Ohio. Her father was Robert Mills, her mother Rhoda Hulet. She had one brother, Frederick Mills, who died when he was only one year old. Her father died in 1827 when she was seven. After his death, her mother's brother, Sylvester Hulet, helped his sister care for the farm and was almost like a father to the children. He also assumed the responsibility of another widowed (1835) sister (Anna Whitmer) and her child.

Sylvester heard about Joseph Smith and the Mormons, and after investigating the new religion, he and his two sisters accepted the gospel. By 1833 they had emigrated to Missouri and had settled with the Saints in Jackson County, but their happiness in this area was short-lived. When they were driven from Jackson County, they, like many others, suffered for want of food, clothing and shelter.

While Sylvester, his sisters, Rhoda and Charlotte, their three children and a little son of his brother whose wife had died, were living in Far West, Rhoda died, leaving "Uncle Vester" as he was affectionately called, the complete responsibility of her two children. The orphans were given his protection and guidance until their maturity.

Elvira became the wife of Orville Sutherland Cox (brother of USMB Amos Cox) on the third of October 1838, and went with her new husband to a home in Lima, Adams County, Illinois. -Orville Cox Day

Sylvester Hulet enlisted as 2nd Lieut. of Company D in the U.S. Mormon Battalion in 1846. He went with General Kearney's escort in 1847. He was discharged along the Sweetwater River by General Kearney, and because his wife had gone to live with relatives in New York, he returned to Utah with the C.C. Rich Company. ~Vern Taylor

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol.9, p.26
After leaving the Platte River while traveling along the Sweet water River the company (C. C. Rich's) met General Kearney and his company of Battalion scouts with their illustrious prisoner, the great pathfinder John C. Fremont. With Fremont's guards were Sylvester Hulet, and Amos Cox. They had traveled many weary months in an unknown lonely country and C. C. Rich's company were also travel-weary. To thus meet relatives and friends so unexpectedly was an unspeakable joy to both parties. Now the Battalion men heard from their families left in Iowa for the first time in more than a year. And tears of joy and of sorrow were freely mingled. A daughter of Amos had died. Sylvester's wife had gone to New York where the Whitmores, her father-in-law and her brothers, lived; so he decided to return to the Rocky Mountains with the pioneers and Kearney gave him his discharges. Amos Cox continued with the prisoner to Fort Leavenworth, where he received his honorable discharge, and then went to his waiting family in Iowa.
Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol.9, p.26

Other men, mentioned in various accounts as being at Las Vegas and participating in the endeavor were Sylvester Hulet, and Artemus Millet. Thomas D. Brown, Rufus C. Allen, Peter Shirts, Isaac Riddle and Mr. Haskell were members of a Colorado River exploring party who chanced to arrive in the area in time to help the Missionaries make their survey. Even David Savage, the mail carrier on the route between Great Salt Lake City and [p.100] Southern California took part in some of the explorations for timber. —John Steele's accounts to Deseret News.
Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 18, p.100

John Steele journal:
Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 18, p.123
April 21, started on an exploring trip to the mountains to explore for lead. Took with me Sylvester Hulet, John Lowder and Beeson Lewis, Jr., taking Koonah-Kibals, an Indian, along for our guide. Traveled three miles from our fort to a little spring, then seven miles to another spring, from thence, 25 miles to another small spring in a canyon. All the way through a very rough road and very little grass. Arrived there about 12 p.m. being then 12 hours on the road. Tuesday 22nd, started and met several Indians and Squaws. Went on to the lead and arrived there about 10 o'clock, a distance of four miles. Found plenty of lead. Packed up 180 lbs. and started back and got to the spring in the desert at sundown, and I got home on Thursday the 24th.

Chapter 9. History of the Church, Vol.2, Ch.9, p.135
Return of the Prophet To Kirtland--Sundry Events In Missouri.

ON the 8th of July I went to the eastern part of Clay county, and held a meeting in the evening at the house of Thomas B. Marsh. Those present were chiefly High Priests and Elders. On the 9th I started for Kirtland, in company with my brother Hyrum, Frederick G. Williams, William E. M'Lellin and others, in a wagon.

August 6.--The High Council of Zion assembled in Clay county, and resolved that Leonard Rich act in the place of Parley P. Pratt, who was absent, and Amasa Lyman in place of William E. M'Lellin, absent.

The following charge was then preferred:

This may certify, that whereas, the brethren and sisters comprising that part of the Church known by the name of the Hulet Branch, have imbibed certain principles concerning the gifts that are not thought to be correct by the remainder of the Church; which principles seem to have a tendency to cause disunion in the Church.

I, therefore, as a well wisher in the cause of Christ, and for the peace, and love, and upholding of the great cause of God, do hereby pray that the High Council will take into consideration the above report, that we all may come to understanding and grow until we all come unto the perfect stature of men and women in Christ Jesus.

History of the Church, Vol.2, Ch.9, p.137

Elder Nathan West preferred charges against Samuel Brown, High Priest, for teaching contrary to counsel, namely, encouraging the brethren in practicing gifts (speaking in tongues,) in ordaining Sylvester Hulet a High Priest (without counsel) in a clandestine manner; asserting that he had obtained a witness of the Lord, which was a command to perform the same on receiving the gift of tongues, which gift he had never before received, but afterwards said that he had been in possession of that gift for the space of a year; and in undervaluing the authority and righteousness of the High Council by charging Elder West not to say anything that would tend to prejudice their minds, lest they might not judge righteously.

The charges were sustained by the testimony of Leonard Rich, Charles English, Brother Bruce, Edward Partridge, Hiram Page, Roxa Slade, Caleb Baldwin, and Sylvester Hulet. President David Whitmer gave the following decision, which was sanctioned by the council:

"According to testimony and the voice of the Holy Spirit, which is in us, we say unto you, that God, in His infinite mercy, doth yet grant you a space for repentance; therefore, if you confess all the charges which have been alleged against you to be just, and in a spirit that we can receive it, then you [Samuel Brown] can stand as a private member in this Church, otherwise we have no fellowship for you; and also, that the ordination of Sylvester Hulet, by Samuel Brown, is illegal and not acknowledged by us to be of God, and therefore it is void.

Brother Brown confessed the charges, and gave up his license, but retained his membership.
History of the Church, Vol.2, Ch.9, p.138

History of the Church, Vol.2, Ch.9, p.139
Charles English testified that the Hulet Branch believed that they received the word of the Lord by the gift of tongues, and would not proceed to their temporal business without receiving the word of the Lord. Sylvester Hulet would speak, and Sally Crandall interpret. Said they would not receive the teachings of ordained members, even Brother Joseph Smith, Jun., himself, unless it agreed with their gifts.

Said they received the word of the Lord while they were in Jackson county, that they were to be persecuted by their brethren in Clay county, and now it had come. Also said that the heads of the Church would have to come down and receive the gifts as they did. Said that they, the Hulet Branch, had come up to their privileges more than the rest of the Church. They thought they were right; but if they could be convinced that they were wrong, they would retract. Sister Crandall professed to know and see men's hearts.

Philo Dibble concurred in the foregoing testimony, and also testified that Sister Crandall saw the hearts of King Follett and Hiram Page, and they were not right.

Hiram Page testified that Lyman Leonard said, if it was necessary to lay aside the gifts for a season, they would receive a knowledge of it through the gifts.

Nathan West concurred in the foregoing testimony, also testified that Sally Crandall saw his heart, that it was full of eyes; also eyes in others' hearts, some few, some many eyes.

Daniel Stanton testified that Sally Crandall said she Saw his heart and saw two books in it, and that there was a Nephite standing behind him to push him into his duty; also that Sylvester Hulet spoke in tongues in meeting, and Sally Crandall interpreted thus: Verily, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, little band, ye must beware, for there are many who are seeking to pry into your privileges.

Absalom Crichfield testified that when he was in Jackson county last spring, the Hulet Branch said, in tongues, that they would be safe, during the night, from any interruption by the mob; but, before morning, Lyman Leonard and Josiah Sumner were whipped; they also said that they saw my heart, and three young women in it.

Brother Batson and Alpheus Gifford concurred in much of the foregoing testimony, and also other similar circumstances in addition.

After an adjournment of three-quarters of an hour, the president instructed the speakers not to seek to excel, but speak according to truth and equity; and that they ought to chase darkness from their minds, and be exercised on the subject upon which they were to speak, in order that they might touch upon points of doctrine, bring hidden things to light, and make dark things, clear, etc.

After councilors had spoken, the president said: "As for the gift of tongues in the manner it was used in the Hulet Branch, the devil deceived them, and they obtained not the word of the Lord, as they supposed, but were deceived; and as for the gift of "seeing," as held by the Hulet Branch, it is of the devil, saith the Lord God."

The council were unanimous in sanctioning the decision, and appointed Amasa Lyman and Simeon Carter to go and labor with Brother Hulet and Sister Crandall, and others of like faith, and set the truth in order before them.

I have been thus particular in giving the history of this council, as the gift of tongues is so often made use of by Satan to deceive the Saints.

The council adjourned to the 7th

Ebenezer Robinson The Return 2 (March 1890), p.234
At Richmond we were taken into the courthouse, which was a new unfinished brick building, with no inside work done except a floor laid across one end, some sixteen or twenty feet wide. There were two large fire places built in the wall where the floor was laid. A railing was built across the room at the edge of the floor, and we were quartered inside the railing as our prison, with a strong guard inside and outside and building.

Two three-pail iron kettles for boiling our meat, and two or more iron bake kettles, or Dutch ovens, for baking our corn bread in, were furnished us, together with sacks of cornmeal and meat in the bulk. We did our own cooking. This arrangement suited us very well, and we enjoyed ourselves as well as men could under similar circumstances. We spread our blankets upon the floor at night for our beds, and before retiring, we sang an hymn and had prayers, and practiced the same each morning before breakfast.

The soldiers inside the building usually gave good attention during these devotions. Some of them were heard to tell other soldiers to come and hear these Mormons sing, for, said they: "They have composed some of the d—dst prettiest songs about Diahman [Adam-ondi-Ahman] you ever heard in your life."

Some of the guard however, at times, were very rude in speech and actions. One was heard to cry out to another: "Shoot your Mormon, I have shot mine." From this we concluded he helped compose the mob that committed that brutal, unhuman massacre at Haun's Mill. The writer saw one of the guard perpetrate upon one of the prisoners an indignity too indecent to be named.

President Joseph Smith, Jr., and his fellow prisoners viz: Hyrum Smith, Sidney Rigdon, Parley P. Pratt, Lyman Wight, Amasa Lyman and George W. Robinson, were brought from Independence to Richmond, and placed in another building, and chained together in a cruel and barbarous manner.

Tuesday, November 13, a space on the south end of the floor in the courthouse was appropriated for the use of the court, which convened on that day, with Austin A. King on the bench, and Thomas C. Burch, state's attorney, when the prisoners named above, together with those confined in the courthouse, were arraigned for trial, viz:

Caleb Baldwin, Alanson Ripley, Washington Voorhees, Sidney Tanner, John Buchanan, Jacob Gates, Chandler Holbrook, George W. Harris, Jesse D. Hunter, Andrew Whitlock, Martin C. Alred [Allred], William Alred, George D. Grant, Darwin Chase, Elijah Newman, Alvin G. Tippets, Zedekiah Owens, Isaac Morley, Thomas Beck, Moses Clawson, John T. Tanner, Daniel Shearer, Daniel S. Thomas, Alexander McRea, Elisha Edwards, John S. Higbee, Ebenezer Page, Benjamin Covey, Ebenezer Robinson, Luman Gibbs, James M. Henderson, David Pettigrew, Edward Partridge, Francis Higbee, David Frampton, George Kimbell, Joseph W. Younger, Henry Zabriski, Allen J. Stout, Sheffield Daniels, Silas Maynard, Anthony Head, Benjamin Jones, Daniel Carn, John T. Earl, and Norman Shearer.

All the above named prisoners were severally charged with high treason against the state, murder, burglary, arson, robbery and larceny.

The charge of murder was made on account of the man that was killed in the Bogart battle, wherein one Missourian and three of our men were killed. Fortunately, most of our brethren who had participated in that battle had left the state, consequently only a few of our fellow prisoners had anything to do with that unfortunate affair.

After the trial had progressed a few days, we understood the judge to say that "nothing but hanging would answer the law," thinking perhaps, from the testimony, that we were all guilty of treason. On another occasion we understood him to say, speaking of the prisoners, that, "if they would deny the Book of Mormon they might go clear." These things were talked over among the prisoners, but not one of our number would accept of freedom upon such unholy terms, notwithstanding it might possibly save them from the gallows. In view of these things, when we were seriously contemplating the worst, judge of our happy surprise when, on Saturday, the 24th, the judge issued the following order:

"Defendants against whom nothing has been proven, viz: Amasa Lyman, John Buchanan, Andrew Whitlock, Alvah L. Tippets, Jedediah Owens, Isaac Morley, John T. Tanner, Daniel S. Thomas, Elisha Edwards, Benjamin Covey, David Frampton, Henry Zabriski, Allen J. Stout, Sheffield Daniels, Silas Maynard, Anthony Head, John T. Earl, Ebenezer Brown, James Newberry, Sylvester Hulet, Chandler Holbrook, Martin Alred [Allred], William Alred. The above defendants have been discharged by me, there being no evidence against them. Austin A. King, Judge, etc. November 24, 1838."

As will be seen, the writer's name does not appear in the list of those discharged. The reason undoubtedly is because our name had been mentioned by W. [William] W. Phelps, one of the witnesses for the state as having seen us with a burned gun barrel. The circumstance was this, during the burning in Daviess County, the writer accompanied a party of our men who visited a farmhouse belonging to a Missourian, which was deserted by its owner. Some of the party set fire to the house and barn and the party left the place. After getting some half a mile away, we heard the report of a gun in the burning barn.

The next day a few of us rode out to the place, and in the ashes of the barn found a gun barrel, which the writer took back to camp and related the circumstance of finding it in the ashes, to those in camp, and this Mr. [William W.] Phelps was present. Thus this, to us, worthless gun barrel became undoubtedly the principal cause of our being detained longer a prisoner.

The above was the only time we were present at any house burning during all the troubles.

It seemed to be the aim of the prosecuting attorney to implicate as many of the prisoners as possible, with the Bogart battle, so much so, that Brother Lumen Gibbs, one of the prisoners, a good, honest-hearted soul, thinking to exonerate himself, stepped up on to a bench, in open court, and said: "I wasn't there at all, I stayed back and took care of the horses." The writer pulled the skirt of his coat, and urged him to keep quiet, but it was too late, he had sealed his destiny.

The court continued in session a few days after the discharge of those named above, when some others were discharged, and the remainder remanded to prison.
Ebenezer Robinson The Return 2 (March 1890), p.235

Heart Throbs of the West, Kate B. Carter, Vol.6, p.139
In 1855, President Brigham Young appointed a company of men to open a mission in Las Vegas. Part of this group left Salt Lake on May 10 and were joined by other members from different settlements along their route.

When they were all assembled, there were thirty missionaries and their families, 40 wagons, 15 cows, and several riding horses. William Bringhurst was appointed president, Wm. S. Covert, first counselor, and Ira S. Miles, second counselor. Other members of the group were: Ariot Hale, James Dickenson, William Bruston, Albert Miles, George G. Snyder, William A. Follet, John W. Turner, Judge Shaver, Amasa Meriam, Sylvester Hulet, Artemus Millet, George W. Bean, William Vance, John Steele, Thomas E. Ricks, Brother Knapp, C. A. Smoot, Brother Foster, James T. S. Allred, Edward Cuthbert, J. S. Milam, Stephen C. Perry, Benjamin R. Hulse, James A. Bean, John Bleazard, Aaron Farr and Lemuel Redd.

After a very long and hard journey the first division of the company reached Las Vegas at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, June 14, 1855. They established their camp-near where the old fort building now stands.

After looking over the surrounding country for the purpose of selecting the most suitable location for a settlement, they decided to locate on the spot where they had first camped.

Sunday, June 17th, they built a bowery and held their first religious service, during which they gave thanks to the Almighty for their safe arrival at their destination.

They at once began to lay off the ground for the fort, measure off garden plots and farm lands. The fort was laid off one hundred and fifty feet square on a slope a few rods from the creek and was to be fourteen feet high, walls two feet thick at the base and one foot thick at top. The residences were to be built inside of the fort and were to be two stories high. After gardens and other crops were planted, a survey of the country was made for timber for building. Found it very far away and hard to get. Early in August some of the men began making the adobe bricks for the walls and three or four teams went to Cottonwood Springs to get poles and also some iron they found lying there. Others went for rock for the foundation. The fort and residences were completed before winter set in. On December 2nd, President Bringhurst and others staked out their pre-emption claims, taking in the whole valley on both sides of the creek, probably eight miles long and one or more miles wide. Early in the Fall, probably in September, a school was established for both white and Indian children, and A. A. Lemon was appointed the teacher. January 10, 1856, a post office was established with Wm. Bringhurst as postmaster.

Also mentioned in:
Biographical sketch of Sylvester Hulet.
13 pp. : typed copy.
Hulet was converted to the LDS Church in Kirtland and was a member of Zion's Camp, later member of Mormon Battalion, and eventually settled in Manti, Utah.
Includes material about Amos Cox and the Cox family.
Location: Utah State Historical Society, Salt Lake City, Utah.
1. Mormon Battalion, 1846-1847. 2. Zions Camp, 1834. 3. Cox family. 4. Manti (Utah). 5. Sanpete County (Utah). 6. Hulet, Sylvester, 1800- 7. Cox, Amos. 8. Biographies.
MSS A 425
ID: UTSX88-A1091
Guide to Archives and Manuscripts Collections In Selected Utah Repositories

Hulett, Sylvester
Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah compiled by Frank Esshom. [Salt Lake City: Western Epics, Inc., 1966.] p.44

Wiggins, Marvin E. Mormons and Their Neighbors (Supplement)

Hulett, Sylvester 1 Mar 1800 - 1883
Members of The Mormon Battalion by Susan Ward Easton. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, 1980. @ p.36 MEMM @ p.36

This one not identified:
Immigrants of 1850:
Hulet, Sylvester 24 b. March 14, 1826 Portage, Ohio

Standage journal:
Apr 10 1847. Today Liut. (Sylvester) Hulet became free from the service. Our commanders are softening their hearts very fast, more willing to listen to our petition. No drill today.

# Birth: 2 MAR 1800 in Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts
# Death: 7 NOV 1883 in Fairview, Sanpete, Utah
# Burial: Fairview, Sanpete, Utah
# Census: 1830 Nelson, Portage, Ohio
# Note:

1830 United States Federal Census > Ohio > Portage > Nelson extracted by Vern Taylor 2007
Charles Hulett males 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 females 0 1 2 0 0 1
Ira Hulett males 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 females 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
1830 United States Federal Census > Ohio > Portage > Nelson extracted by Vern Taylor 2007
Sylvester Hulett males 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 females 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 1
male 30-40 Sylvester Hulett b. 1800 age 30
female 30-40 Rhoda Hulet Mills (sister) b. 1795 age 35
male 20-30 Francis Hulett b. 1802 age 28
female 30-40 Persis? Barber b. 1800 age 30 (1st wife of Francis)
female 10-15 Elvira Pamela Mills b. 1815-20 b. March 2, 1820, Nelson, Portage, Ohio
male under 5 unidentified* b. 1826-30 prob. Sylvester Hulet b. March 14, 1826 Portage, Ohio
male under 5 unidentified* b. 1826-30
female 60-70 Mary Lewis Hulett (mother) b. 1761 age 69
*AF listed 3 children for Francis, but the children in this census could be with either family

# LDS Baptism: 18 OCT 1967
# Endowment: 18 DEC 1845 Temple: NAUVO
# Sealing Child: 20 AUG 1951
# Ancestral File #: 8KKQ-GM
# Event: as LT of Company of D Military 1846

Father: Sylvanus HULET b: 7 NOV 1758 in Killingly, Windham, Connecticut c: 10 DEC 1758 in Thompson, Windham, Connecticut
Mother: Mary LEWIS b: 3 APR 1761 in Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts c: 5 APR 1761 in Pepperell, Middlesex, Massachusetts

Marriage 1 Anna (WHITMER) SCHOTT b: AFT 1800 in of Lee, Berkshire, Massachusetts

* Married: AFT 1835 in of , , Missouri
* Sealing Spouse: 19 JAN 1953


1. Abbrev: Ancestral File (TM)
Title: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Ancestral File (TM). June 1998 (c), data as of 5 JAN 1998une 1998 (c), data as of 5 JAN 1998.
Name: Family History Library
Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA
Name: Family History Library
Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA